Sign in with
Your question

OC phenom ii x3 720 BE bottleneck gtx 460 SLI ?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Phenom
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2011 1:25:36 AM

if i got a phenom ii x3 720 BE with a good cooler and overclock it .. will it still bottleneck two GTX 460 SLI ? :sarcastic: 

ram: G.skill DDR3 4G 10666

1080p 24'' monitor

More about : phenom 720 bottleneck gtx 460 sli

August 24, 2011 2:42:55 AM

any one ?
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:54:53 AM

What is the speed of the cpu? I´ve got a pII 965 at 3.8 ghz with 2 gtx 460 in SLI. Someone said to me that there could be a slight bottleneck, nothing serious. The SLI runs perfect to me in a 24" monitor. I had ran a lot of benchs with beautiful results :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 3:38:17 AM

Yeah, it should do fairly well if you give it a high OC.
Does your motherboard have the ability to unlock cores? If so there's a very high chance you will end up with a x4 anyway.
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:50:55 PM

its msi 750a SLI
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:54:36 PM

the CPU is designed as 3 cores how am i can make it quad core ?
unless its designed as quad core CPU and AMD has locked the 4th core so you can unlocked when you need it .. LOL

whats the improve i will get if i "unlock core" ?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:48:27 PM

Yes, all of the Phenom II x3 and Phenom II x2(and Athlon II x3) chips are actually quad core processors with the other cores purposely turned off. Some of the disabled cores are faulty and cannot be turned back on. This allows AMD to make money on processors with manufacturing defects. Most of the locked cores however are perfectly fine and the success rate for unlocking them is high; approximately 85%. To try it you need a motherboard with ACC and you unlock them through the BIOS. Most current AM3 motherboards with an AMD chipset have this feature but unfortunately your chipset is Nvidia and its much more rare on those. Yours in particular cannot attempt to unlock cores.
m
l
August 24, 2011 6:27:43 PM

If you look at the "Building a Balanced Gaming PC" review series on Tom's then you can get a pretty good idea of where a bottleneck will occur. For the most part, the Phenom II x3 3.1 Rana has always been enough to avoid a bottleneck. That is right up until cards about the equivalent of the GTX 260. In SLi there will undoubtably be a small bottleneck, but with the overclock you should come out losing no more than 5-10% performance. On that note, the Phenom II x 4 3.4 doesn't bottleneck until the equivilent of a OC'd GTX 285, which means if you manage to get your 4th core, and OC that . . . well you'll be right as rain.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 7:11:59 PM

shinaynay said:
If you look at the "Building a Balanced Gaming PC" review series on Tom's then you can get a pretty good idea of where a bottleneck will occur. For the most part, the Phenom II x3 3.1 Rana has always been enough to avoid a bottleneck. That is right up until cards about the equivalent of the GTX 260. In SLi there will undoubtably be a small bottleneck, but with the overclock you should come out losing no more than 5-10% performance. On that note, the Phenom II x 4 3.4 doesn't bottleneck until the equivilent of a OC'd GTX 285, which means if you manage to get your 4th core, and OC that . . . well you'll be right as rain.

None of these numbers you are using are remotely accurate. Bottlenecking depends heavily on the specific game, resolution and settings as well as the CPU used, core speed and video card(s). There are a ton of current and recent games that still only utilize 2 cores and on those his processor will be indistinguishable from a x4 chip. Some games out there, like SC2, will bottleneck even a highly overclock i7 given a good video card(or cards) because they are just very CPU dependent and not particularly taxing of a video card.
m
l
August 24, 2011 9:29:27 PM

so what you are trying to say is .. ?

you didn't answer my question, is the phenom ii x3 720 bottleneck gtx 460 SLI

and why is intel CPUs are expensive over AMD
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 12:05:56 AM

My first post answered your question in a vague general sense. My last post pointed out that it will vary far too much to give you a more specific answer unless you ask a much more specific question like, "Will processor A at speed B bottleneck card C while play game D at resolution E with the graphics setting on F." I don't know where shinaynay got those specific numbers from but they simply can't be accurate in a general sense.
Intel processors are more expensive than AMD ones right now because they are significantly faster. Under $130 or so AMD tends to be a better value for the money, over that Intel is.
m
l
August 25, 2011 1:30:48 AM

will amd phenom ii x3 720 @ 3.3 bottleneck gtx 460 SLI in crysis 2 @ 1080p maximum settings ? :) 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 3:38:52 AM

3.3ghz is not a high OC for such a processor. It should get up to the 3.6-3.8ghz area with good cooling. If you can get it up to those speeds it may still bottleneck a bit if you are playing in DX10 but you'll still get rather good frame rates(40+). Maxed with the DX11 add-on the CPU shouldn't be the limiting factor.
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:05:31 AM

what about redeon HD 6870 or gtx 560, will it bottleneck ?
m
l
August 27, 2011 11:45:45 PM

Those are higher end cares than what you stated earlier, Most of the bottle necking will be coming from the CPU, Say you have a Athlon x2 4000+ (very old AM2 CPU) You throw in a GTX 580 and a GTX 580 Sli on there. Performance will stay the same regardless on say a very intense game, because the CPU is at 100% and is unable to pull through any further.
m
l
!