Haha. Get Bass at EB...

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

That's odd; EB lists Sega Bass Fishing as "Get Bass", the Japanese name.
And their graphic even says Get Bass on the US packaging.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/166330.asp
Did they ever have it right?
(You can get 15 DC games for $50, incidentally... but without the
promise of cases, I doubt it would be worthwhile for anyone here.)

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <4268043A.9FE639D8@nospam.com>,
Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:
>That's odd; EB lists Sega Bass Fishing as "Get Bass", the Japanese name.
>And their graphic even says Get Bass on the US packaging.
>http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/166330.asp
>Did they ever have it right?
>(You can get 15 DC games for $50, incidentally... but without the
>promise of cases, I doubt it would be worthwhile for anyone here.)

There are a lot of inconsistencies on the EB web site. Most notably, some
items are duplicated because they're listed under two or more distinct SKU
numbers. More importantly (at least to me) there are many items in stock
at the stores which are not viewable on the web site because EB wants to
actively discourage sale or distribution of those items. All the same,
it's their website and they can run it (or not) howeer they see fit.

-KKC, who got his GBA movie player to work, finally. Amazing what a
cooling fan can do for processor performance...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
snip
> There are a lot of inconsistencies on the EB web site. Most notably, some
> items are duplicated because they're listed under two or more distinct SKU
> numbers. More importantly (at least to me) there are many items in stock
> at the stores which are not viewable on the web site because EB wants to
> actively discourage sale or distribution of those items.
snip

Could you list some of those items, or point me towards an article on
the subject?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <4268108B.2D0512FB@nospam.com>,
Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>snip
>> There are a lot of inconsistencies on the EB web site. Most notably, some
>> items are duplicated because they're listed under two or more distinct SKU
>> numbers. More importantly (at least to me) there are many items in stock
>> at the stores which are not viewable on the web site because EB wants to
>> actively discourage sale or distribution of those items.
>
>Could you list some of those items, or point me towards an article on
>the subject?

Okay, fine, make me back-pedal. :) But seriously, every Electronics
Boutique in my neighborhood has a copy of Skies of Arcadia for the
Dreamcast in stock, but the game isn't listed on the site. My guess is
that this is because they hae an interest in moving copies of the Gamecube
version instead. As an example of something more clearly devious, consider
the PS1 game Xenogears, which is listed on the EB site as being available
for $29.99 previously owned. What's omitted from the page is that every EB
has a half-dozen of the brand new Greatest Hits version of the game for
$19.99 like Square-Enix wants them to have.

In retrospect, it's probably unfair of me to accuse EB or any retail chain
of manipulating the appearance of their available stock to affect sales.
But just once, I'd like to be able to go online and find what I want to
buy, instead of being sold to. That's all I hae to say on that subject.

-KKC, who has a previously arranged dinner engagement for sushi and bento,
but for some reason all he wants is a Big Mac. What's wrong with me?
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
snip
> -KKC, who has a previously arranged dinner engagement for sushi and bento,
> but for some reason all he wants is a Big Mac. What's wrong with me?

Your womb is sick of the mercury and would rather pack on some fat
calories to ready it for reproduction?

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> What's omitted from the page is that every EB
> has a half-dozen of the brand new Greatest Hits version of the game for
> $19.99 like Square-Enix wants them to have.

What makes that extra odd is that Namco made the game... =)

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

>>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> Doh! Brain fart. I concede to the correction and offer myself up for...
> well, whatever punishment you get for remembering a game publisher
> incorrectly. Do I have to go force myself to play BattleMasters or
> something?

I propose you play Tengen's icky versions of Fantasy Zone, Alien
Syndrome AND After Burner on the NES.

That'll learn ya.

Dr. Luveno wrote:
>>> Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>>
>> Doh! Brain fart. I concede to the correction and offer myself up
>> for... well, whatever punishment you get for remembering a game
>> publisher incorrectly. Do I have to go force myself to play
>> BattleMasters or something?
>

> I propose you play Tengen's icky versions of Fantasy Zone, Alien
> Syndrome AND After Burner on the NES.
>
> That'll learn ya.

Very merciful of you not to include Shinobi. ;)

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <te5ae.27437$Zn3.27424@trnddc02>,
Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Doh! Brain fart. I concede to the correction and offer myself up
>>> for... well, whatever punishment you get for remembering a game
>>> publisher incorrectly. Do I have to go force myself to play
>>> BattleMasters or something?
>>
>> I propose you play Tengen's icky versions of Fantasy Zone, Alien
>> Syndrome AND After Burner on the NES.
>>
>> That'll learn ya.
>
>Very merciful of you not to include Shinobi. ;)

And now each of you gets bonus points, gold stars and a coupon for a
lapdance for staying on-topic and suggesting only Sega properties for
gaming punishments. Although as punishments go, the NES version of Alien
Syndrome wasn't all that bad...

-KKC, full of beef teriyaki and fried eggs...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

How bout the Famicom version of Altered Beast as punishment?

Mojo

Scott H wrote:

>>> Doh! Brain fart. I concede to the correction and offer myself up
>>> for... well, whatever punishment you get for remembering a game
>>> publisher incorrectly. Do I have to go force myself to play
>>> BattleMasters or something?
>>

>> I propose you play Tengen's icky versions of Fantasy Zone, Alien
>> Syndrome AND After Burner on the NES.
>>
>> That'll learn ya.
>

> Very merciful of you not to include Shinobi. ;)

How wise of you to acknowledge my benevolence... =)

Mojo JoJo wrote:
> How bout the Famicom version of Altered Beast as punishment?

Never heard of this one.

Dr. Luveno wrote:
> Mojo JoJo wrote:
>
>> How bout the Famicom version of Altered Beast as punishment?
>

> Never heard of this one.

It's pretty bad too, I've got a pic of it up against the SMS version in
the Console History section of my site. Oh, and I agree with Kendrick
that the NES Alien Syndrome wasn't bad at all. Lots of the color brown,
but it's closer to the arcade in gameplay than the SMS version.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dr. Luveno" <doctor@luveno.com> wrote in message
> Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> > What's omitted from the page is that every EB
> > has a half-dozen of the brand new Greatest Hits version of the game for
> > $19.99 like Square-Enix wants them to have.
>
> What makes that extra odd is that Namco made the game... =)

He was talking about Xeno"gears" right? I'm pretty sure Square made it. Then
Namco got the team did the game later with Xeno"saga"

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

>>>What's omitted from the page is that every EB
>>>has a half-dozen of the brand new Greatest Hits version of the game for
>>>$19.99 like Square-Enix wants them to have.
>>
>>What makes that extra odd is that Namco made the game... =)
>

> He was talking about Xeno"gears" right? I'm pretty sure Square made it. Then
> Namco got the team did the game later with Xeno"saga"

I stand corrected. He did say 'gears. My bad.

Now *I* have to go play NES Afterburner. Arg.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <tOfbe.47059$Nn.4973@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,

>>>What makes that extra odd is that Namco made the game... =)
>>
>> He was talking about Xeno"gears" right? I'm pretty sure Square made it. Then
>> Namco got the team did the game later with Xeno"saga"
>
>I stand corrected. He did say 'gears. My bad.
>
>Now *I* have to go play NES Afterburner. Arg.

And what do *I* get for compensation for playing through Altered Beast
now? :) Oh yes, I get the satisfaction of knowing that EB's questionable
pricing is being discussed further...

-KKC, who is also exercising some justice against Nintendo, but that's a
discussion for another newsgroup entirely.
--

In article <YK-dnTNfyLb_jvXfRVn-pg@io.com>,
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@eris.io.com> wrote:

>In retrospect, it's probably unfair of me to accuse EB or any retail chain
>of manipulating the appearance of their available stock to affect sales.
>But just once, I'd like to be able to go online and find what I want to
>buy, instead of being sold to. That's all I hae to say on that subject.

Actually, after my experiences this past week I'm starting to thing that
EB actually does manipulate the appearance of their stock. For the last
three days now, Pocket Kingdom has appeared on the web site for $4.99 new,
even though it doesn't add the item to your cart when you try to buy it.
It doesn't say that it's out of stock, the web site just doesn't let you
buy it. Retail stores claim to know nothing about the price change,
although they're all very willing to sell you the used copy for $14.99, as
is the 1-800 sales number.

I'm willing to cross the line at this point; I'm confident that EB is
fraudulently representing their prices in order to lure people in to buy
the previously-owned copy for a slightly higher price. The fact that
there's such a wide disparity between what the web site reports and what
the retail stores are doing has really turned me off to the idea of doing
any further business with EB. I was inclined to be forgiving in the past,
but at this point I'm not willing to reward that kind of behavior with my
business. And so EB loses a sale; no wonder Gamestop bought them out.

-KKC, who bought a used VMU and spent twenty minutes cleaning barbecue
sauce out of it. What are you people doing with your memory cards? :/
--

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

> In article <YK-dnTNfyLb_jvXfRVn-pg@io.com>,
> Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@eris.io.com> wrote:
> >
> >In retrospect, it's probably unfair of me to accuse EB or any retail chain
> >of manipulating the appearance of their available stock to affect sales.
> >But just once, I'd like to be able to go online and find what I want to
> >buy, instead of being sold to. That's all I hae to say on that subject.
>
> Actually, after my experiences this past week I'm starting to thing that
> EB actually does manipulate the appearance of their stock. For the last
> three days now, Pocket Kingdom has appeared on the web site for $4.99 new,
> even though it doesn't add the item to your cart when you try to buy it.
> It doesn't say that it's out of stock, the web site just doesn't let you
> buy it. Retail stores claim to know nothing about the price change,
> although they're all very willing to sell you the used copy for $14.99, as
> is the 1-800 sales number.

I can't find a link for a new copy of the game from EB's site, and I
can't find a Google search that will pull up any valid pages for the
game new (and the cached pages all seem to list it at $35). What link
are you using?
snip
> -KKC, who bought a used VMU and spent twenty minutes cleaning barbecue
> sauce out of it. What are you people doing with your memory cards? :/

Um, are you sure it's BBQ sauce? I hope you didn't taste it to find out...

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <42A731E2.DAA0EEED@nospam.com>,
Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>>
>> Actually, after my experiences this past week I'm starting to thing that
>> EB actually does manipulate the appearance of their stock. For the last
>> three days now, Pocket Kingdom has appeared on the web site for $4.99 new,
>> even though it doesn't add the item to your cart when you try to buy it.
>> It doesn't say that it's out of stock, the web site just doesn't let you
>> buy it. Retail stores claim to know nothing about the price change,
>> although they're all very willing to sell you the used copy for $14.99, as
>> is the 1-800 sales number.
>
>I can't find a link for a new copy of the game from EB's site, and I
>can't find a Google search that will pull up any valid pages for the
>game new (and the cached pages all seem to list it at $35). What link
>are you using?

Check the pre-played link. It's a double-SKU number, with the new item
listed directly underneath the used item on the single product page. Of
course, the new item might have been removed already.

>> -KKC, who bought a used VMU and spent twenty minutes cleaning barbecue
>> sauce out of it. What are you people doing with your memory cards? :/
>
>Um, are you sure it's BBQ sauce? I hope you didn't taste it to find out...

I guess it could be salsa. It's red, not brown. And now I'll cheerfully
choose not to expend any further thought on that topic... All that matters
is that the VMU is clean and actually works. And has a Jet Grind Radio
save file on it with porn for grafitti tag images. :/

-KKC, looking at old Xboxes to modify...
--

In article <-dWdnVHJ9sJ6oDrfRVn-hQ@io.com>,
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote:
>In article <42A731E2.DAA0EEED@nospam.com>,
>Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>I can't find a link for a new copy of the game from EB's site, and I
>>can't find a Google search that will pull up any valid pages for the
>>game new (and the cached pages all seem to list it at $35). What link
>>are you using?
>
>Check the pre-played link. It's a double-SKU number, with the new item
>listed directly underneath the used item on the single product page. Of
>course, the new item might have been removed already.

Nope, the link is gone. I complained to EB's online customer service, and
they gave me the standard boilerplate about inconsistent pricing. I guess
I'm done with them now.

You'd think that as big as they are and in as much trouble as they're in,
EB would want to keep as many of their customers as possible. What's
worse, the fact that local stores can modify their pricing means that this
is a case of store managers or district managers being either lazy or
greedy. I gotta quit thinking about this, otherwise I'll just get
grumpier. :)

-KKC, who wonders where the hardcore shop if they don't shop at EB and
Gamestop. Not Amazon, and you know how I feel about eBay cheating me out
of $150. Is there a Fry's in Florida yet?
--

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <-dWdnVHJ9sJ6oDrfRVn-hQ@io.com>,
> Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote:
>
> Nope, the link is gone. I complained to EB's online customer service, and
> they gave me the standard boilerplate about inconsistent pricing. I guess
> I'm done with them now.
>
> You'd think that as big as they are and in as much trouble as they're in,
> EB would want to keep as many of their customers as possible. What's
> worse, the fact that local stores can modify their pricing means that this
> is a case of store managers or district managers being either lazy or
> greedy. I gotta quit thinking about this, otherwise I'll just get
> grumpier. :)
>
> -KKC, who wonders where the hardcore shop if they don't shop at EB and
> Gamestop. Not Amazon, and you know how I feel about eBay cheating me out
> of $150. Is there a Fry's in Florida yet?

I pretty much only buy from a local gamestore that's locally owned and
opperated. I know a guy here in town who's a hardcore collector, and as
slim as the pickings here in nowhere Texas are, he manages to buy fairly
rare finds almost daily just checking pawn shops, the local gamer
grapevine, and the afore mentioned local game store.

--

In article <ZiJpe.17621$ld3.15034@trnddc04>,
Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>> In article <-dWdnVHJ9sJ6oDrfRVn-hQ@io.com>,
>> Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote:
>>
>> -KKC, who wonders where the hardcore shop if they don't shop at EB and
>> Gamestop. Not Amazon, and you know how I feel about eBay cheating me out
>> of $150. Is there a Fry's in Florida yet?
>
> I pretty much only buy from a local gamestore that's locally owned and
>opperated. I know a guy here in town who's a hardcore collector, and as
>slim as the pickings here in nowhere Texas are, he manages to buy fairly
>rare finds almost daily just checking pawn shops, the local gamer
>grapevine, and the afore mentioned local game store.

I used to have one of those. Guy in town my age, understood the industry,
owned three stores on different sides of town and always priced stuff
competitively. Knew how to get imports and knew to save the niche stuff
(like RPG's and strange peripherals) for obsessive clowns like me. Then he
sold all his stock and his storefronts to some state conglomerate. I can't
fault him for the business decision he made, but I hardly go to his old
stores anymore.

The current employees of the store are about the same caliber of people
who are typically found in a mall game shop. Feel free to make your own
judgement of the information in that statement.

-KKC, who firmly believes in voting with his wallet. Which means the last
guy who got my vote was Fred Gallagher. :)
--

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <ZiJpe.17621$ld3.15034@trnddc04>,
> Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>>
>>>In article <-dWdnVHJ9sJ6oDrfRVn-hQ@io.com>,
>>>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>-KKC, who wonders where the hardcore shop if they don't shop at EB and
>>>Gamestop. Not Amazon, and you know how I feel about eBay cheating me out
>>>of $150. Is there a Fry's in Florida yet?
>>
>> I pretty much only buy from a local gamestore that's locally owned and
>>opperated. I know a guy here in town who's a hardcore collector, and as
>>slim as the pickings here in nowhere Texas are, he manages to buy fairly
>>rare finds almost daily just checking pawn shops, the local gamer
>>grapevine, and the afore mentioned local game store.
>

> I used to have one of those. Guy in town my age, understood the industry,
> owned three stores on different sides of town and always priced stuff
> competitively. Knew how to get imports and knew to save the niche stuff
> (like RPG's and strange peripherals) for obsessive clowns like me. Then he
> sold all his stock and his storefronts to some state conglomerate. I can't
> fault him for the business decision he made, but I hardly go to his old
> stores anymore.
>
> The current employees of the store are about the same caliber of people
> who are typically found in a mall game shop. Feel free to make your own
> judgement of the information in that statement.

The same was true of the store in town until the franchise owner got
rid of the previous management and employees and got an actual game
enthusiast in there. I actually enjoy going there now, though I hardly
ever see anything particularly rare in an Internet sense, thanks to the
collector(s) in town. If that's the situation in yours, I don't know
what to say, maybe some sort of online collector's message board could
tie you in to something you'd like to be a part of.

> -KKC, who firmly believes in voting with his wallet. Which means the last
> guy who got my vote was Fred Gallagher. :)

In some ways, I consider taking advantage of certain companies, through
thrifty purchasing, almost as gratifying.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

snip
> -KKC, who wonders where the hardcore shop if they don't shop at EB and
> Gamestop. Not Amazon, and you know how I feel about eBay cheating me out
> of $150. Is there a Fry's in Florida yet?

There's more to the internet than eBay... NCS now stocks at least some
domestic stuff, and I'd guess they'll order naything domestic that's
available that you ask them to. And then there's Lik Sang...
And Amazon Z-Shops are probably the best place to find deals on unopened
big name games a few months after release (outside of eBay).Under $35
before shipping for the deluxe Halo 2 in early January...

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
snip
> >> -KKC, who bought a used VMU and spent twenty minutes cleaning barbecue
> >> sauce out of it. What are you people doing with your memory cards? :/
> >
> >Um, are you sure it's BBQ sauce? I hope you didn't taste it to find out...
>
> I guess it could be salsa. It's red, not brown.

Anyone here know what color blood appears when it dries on a VMU?

And now I'll cheerfully
> choose not to expend any further thought on that topic... All that matters
> is that the VMU is clean and actually works. And has a Jet Grind Radio
> save file on it with porn for grafitti tag images. :/

More games should allow people to apply their own personal obscenity to
games instead of having to deal with the obscenely ugly images game
companies think should go in there...

> -KKC, looking at old Xboxes to modify...

Report back on useful FAQs and such; I want to examine all those sweet
files on Shenmue II...