Computer shutting off while gaming, details inside

lukem5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I have run prime 95 for over 5 hours NO issues, I am sure this isnt a cpu/ram overheating issue. It has something to due with the GFX card/chipsets or the GFX card causing another unit to overheat thus making the comp shut down.

However, when I run ATI tools GFX card tester, the computer will shut off after about 15 minutes of testing.

My temps are rather high, but not high to the point of shut down.

I just ran a test with prime 95 going and ATItools gfx card stress tester going at the same time...

At the time of shut down (took only about 10 minutes of simultaneously running prime 95/ ATItools), the temps are as follows (according to CPUID)

GPU: 91C

CPU: All 4 cores at 68C

Motherboard chipset temps (by the way, which one is north bridge and which is southbridge?? this is under the "motherboard" tab, so I assume its north/south bridge?)

CPU: 68c

mainboard: 54c

Is my gfx card just too hot?

Or could my gfx be stressing my north/southbridge/other component into overheating?

All I know is when the GFX gets stressed, the comp shuts off. It could be the GFX itself, or some other component getting too hot as a result of servicing the GFX.

I hope I have explained this well, any help is GREATLY appreciated. :love:

Heres the specs
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-V2 Rev X.0x
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0501, 8/3/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.95 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Power Supply: OCZ 600w

if ANY other info is needed PLEASE ask and I will provide it.

Also, is there any other programs I can use to get more DETAILED system info? (that I can copy/paste here?)

lukem5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Sorry, its a OCZ 600w power supply, is there a program I can use that will give me better information on this?

BTW what symbol is that in your avatar? I have it on my dirtbike helmet haah I always wondered if it was a nazi symbol or something? Looks badass regardless.

It is a Slayer Iron Eagle.

I can't remember when it first appeared. I might have been when Seasons in the Abyss was released. It's not a Nazi symbol since there is no Swastika.

Unfortunately, the Nazis have "tainted" the meaning of the swastika symbol which is suppose to have spiritual connotation. This symbol can be found on buddhist statues either on the head or cheat and has probably existed for around 2000 years.

I'm not familiar with ATItools gfx tester. It may artificially over stress your card. It may not work properly when used with a nVidia card. Does your PC crash when you play games?

The OCZ 600w should be enough for your system. If you want more info about the power supply, then you need to open the case and like at it's sticker which should give you info like total amps on the +12v rails and total wattage on those rails as well.

lukem5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
yes it crashes when I play certain games, esp. processor intensive games such as RTS.

I think I am over heating one of my chipsets? It cant be the GFX< 90c is hot, but not hot enought to shut it down, I am sure my gfx doesnt go above 95 as I dont OC it and stress tests it doesnt go past 91c.

How can I tell which part is overheating? Is there temp sensors in the mobo chipsets?

lukem5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
still having this problem.

I have ruled out the GFX overheating, as I used MSI afterburner to put fan speed at 100%, and it hasn't gone over 80 during intensive gaming, yet it still shuts down!!!!!

I am pretty sure something is overheating, my powersupply is adequate (OCZ 600w) and my GFX isn't overheating.

This is my ma inboard, could the chip sets on this board be overheating and causing the comp to shut down????

Mainboard Model M4N68T-M-V2

Here are some temps at time of shutdown (from CPUID hardware monitor)

Temperature 0 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (CPU)
Temperature 1 45°C (113°F) [0x2D] (Mainboard)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Voltage 0 0.99 Volts [0x3DB] (VIN0)
Temperature 0 65°C (149°F) [0x41] (TMPIN0)
Fan 0 4920 RPM [0x1338] (FANIN0)
Fan PWM 0 100 pc [0x64] (FANPWMIN0)

So my GFX was at 65 at time of shutdown, quite low. And CPU was at 56... also low....

What is mainboard? Is this my chipset???

Please help me solve this problem guys! I have been trying to solve it for weeks!!! :fou:

monsta

Splendid
Theres a possibility that your PSU may be on the way out, my last PSU was a OCZ 1010W and it died , the best way to find out is to try another PSU and see if it shuts down , maybe ask a friend if you can use theirs to test it?

lukem5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I finally figured out the PSU is overheating.

If only they had a temp monitor for PSU I wouldn't have had all this headache!!!!!

the fan in the PSU stopped turning, so it has just been overheating this whole time.....

I was thinking about replacing the fan, but its a 135mm fan..... plus the connection from the fan to the PSU is glued shut.

I just ordered a brand new psu.... oh god I will never buy an OCZ PSU ever again.

Sure, I know the build quality is great, because this thing has been overheating a whole lot and still works.

But when they neglect the quality of a component so simple and essential as the fan? I jsut don't get the idiots that engineer the designs of these things, and the management that decides cheap chinese fans will cut it to save a few cents.

Sad sad sad

Will not be buying OCZ anymore.