Sign in with
Your question

Cookie problems

Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 25, 2009 3:20:37 AM

For the last week or so I've been unable to browse the US site (UK site works fine, ironically) because of the cookies stored when logged in. I originally thought it was a routing issue, and then an issue with Firefox, but even Internet explorer can't display the page when I'm logged in. Basically, in Firefox I end up with a blank page that has the URL as the page title. In Internet explorer it simply says the page can't be displayed. If I clear the site cookies, it loads fine. Upon logging in again it will occasionally load once but then the next page will not load and neither will any subsequent pages.

Oddly enough, when I go through a proxy server it works fine, albeit slower. I've been having to do this for the last few days now.

More about : cookie problems

November 25, 2009 4:22:54 AM

Are you experiencing any other problems with cookies or just here?

Are you coming in from a search engine, direct URL or bookmark (have you changed the bookmark lately)?

Try pinging and running a trace route to the DNS and IP address's to see if you're having a connection issue.
Run > CMD > ping "url or IP's"
Run > CMD > tracert "url or IP's"

Check your firewall and security software for blocking.
November 25, 2009 4:54:29 AM

Only this site, from bookmarks and from directly browsing to the site via the address bar. I've changed DNS servers and run trace routes and pings to the site without issue. I have not checked the firewall or router, but their configuration has not been changed lately so that shouldn't matter.

Also, in case it matters, the proxy is not your standard web proxy like kids use for getting around web filters. It's a caching proxy set up by my ISP which used to be forced on everyone but has since been made optional since it caused a whole lot of slowdown issues for some people, and Google often blocks it because it thinks we're bots :sarcastic:  In this case it's actually a good thing though, since it's the only way I can get on the site.
Related resources
November 25, 2009 4:57:53 AM

The server here may be treating you the same way.

Try rebooting the router.
November 25, 2009 5:01:20 AM

If it was treating me as a bot then it should be an issue when using the proxy (since there will be multiple users with the same IP address), but the issue is when not using the proxy. Also, it should be blocking me even if I'm not logged in if that's what is happening. I'll try rebooting the router anyway.
November 25, 2009 5:09:49 AM

OK, so you aren't using that ISP proxy by default.

Can you tell if the issue pops up when checking out any other BOM/Tom's US based sites?
November 25, 2009 5:16:11 AM

Well rebooting the router seems to have worked for now, although I'm not sure why. I'll wait and see if the problem re-appears. It's nice to have pages load relatively quickly now, rather than being extremely sluggish. Thanks for your help so far. You'd think I'd have thought of basic troubleshooting steps by now, but then i wouldn't have guessed that rebooting the router would fix an issue that only exists when logging in :) 
November 25, 2009 5:22:29 AM

Routers follow the Windows rule: When in doubt, reboot.

Sometimes you get lucky.
November 26, 2009 4:19:32 AM

Or the mac way of things:

It has to work, steve jobs said it would.
!