dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I was thinking about replacing the computer that my family uses for Christmas this year. Its a 2.8ghz pentium 4 running xp. I bet I could build a very cheap pc. They use it for web browsing, email, itunes and quicken. I'm not sure what the best processor would be though.

-pentium g630 2.7ghz dual core sandy bridge $90
-llano a4-3400 2.7ghz dual core apu $80
-athlon II x3 3.4ghz triple core cpu $90

Would graphics on the cpu be overkill for youtube videos and farmville? If so wouldn't it be smarter to go with the higher clocked, extra core athlon II? The pentium is socket 1155 so that would have many upgrade options.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
The triple core cpu is only clocked at 2.1ghz. I feel like most of usage wouldn't utilize all the cores efficiently. Are you guys recommending the llano cpu because of the graphics? Wouldn't a 3.4 ghz athlon II x3 blow a three core 2.1 ghz llano cpu as far as cpu performance goes?

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
As far as cpu performance yes. But the integrated graphics of llano is far superior any other igp. So watching movies, playing games (even the flashed base ones) and browsing the web will have better performance. You could probably get away with the dual core llano with no problem though.