XFX 680i with GX-450 PSU No Power Up

ninjanick75

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I'm trying to power on a new setup, but am getting a brief moment of fan power, then it dies. No beeps, just a second of fan power, blue LED on mobo lights up, then off.

XFX 680i
CoolerMaster GX 450
Q6600
G Skill 4GB CL5
Nvidia Quadro FX 3400

Going to try out swapping the Power and Reset switch connections on the mobo tonight, but I also noticed something strange when looking through the documentation. The GX 450 PSU specifies CPU Power as being a dedicated 12VDC line, however when I look at the 680i LT User Manual, the 12VDC and GND locations are swapped. I would have thought these types of connections are fairly standard ... since it's a similar board to EVGA, I looked at there documentation and it is the same. Did I fry my mobo/CPU?
There have been a few topics concerning swapping the location of a 4-pin CPU Power header, but nothing about this particular PSU.

ninjanick75

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The CPU Power connector is as it should, but the XFX 680i manual actually has the GND and 12VDC reversed which through me for a loop. I think I have an old PSU somewhere which should be ok to boot. I'll try to boot without mem and GPU to see if things change.
Does anyone know what significance the LED colors indicate? Right now, only the blue LED lights up and I see a brief orange LED, but no green.

ninjanick75

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Got another PSU and it powered on briefly without GPU and mem, but once I started populating mem and GPU it wouldn't boot. Tried the new PSU on a different setup and it powered on ok so the PSU is ok.

The Blue LED indicates that the motherboard is receiving +5VSB power.

The Green LED indicates that the motherboard is receiving +3.3V power once the motherboard is powered on.

The Amber LED indicates that the motherboard is receiving +5V power once the motherboard is powered on.