So confused!!!

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Hello all!

I'm wanting to maybe upgrade my video card, but it seems the more I read, the more confused I get! :heink:

I currently have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and have been looking at the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE.

I am on a budget, so would the GTX 460 SE be a decent upgrade from what I currently have? The only gaming I do is WoW.

My current build (which is only maybe 2 yrs old):

EVGA nForce 730a Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core (5600+)
4 GB DDR2
Acer 24" monitor @ 1920 by 1080
XP Pro sp3 (but will be going to Win7 pro at some point in the near future)

Thanks in advance for your help!

your CPU would be a huge bottleneck, it doesnt meet the minimum requirements for some new games, and certainly not recommended requirements. Your cpu is currently bottlenecking your 9800gtx also. Upgrade your CPU first. Your motherboard is am2+ so you should be able to put in a fast clocked quad core athlon II x4.

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Interesting - I have been considering going to a quad core, but AM2+ socket CPUs are kind of rare now, but I did hear you can use an AM3 in an AM2 socket?

If I were to upgrade my processor, would that still be a good choice for a vid card? Remember, as far as gaming goes, I just do World of Warcraft. Thanks again =)

Stay away from the SE version of the GTX 460. Your need for graphics horsepower is dictated by your resolution, so that's a good place to start.
For midrange graphics, its hard to beat the value of the HD6850 and the GTX 460 1GB. They are good for anything up to 1680X1050 (22inches)

WoW has been optimized for quad core CPU's. I don't think the 9800gtx is a bad card for what you're doing. So the best CPU for AM2+ is the X4 940BE. I've been able to find them around for $100. But that is a 125Watt part.

You could also possibly add an AM3 CPU. Most AM2+ boards can handle an AM3 processor with a BIOS update, which you would have to perform before adding the new CPU.

I added a X3 720BE to my PC after my X4 died, and I've noticed little difference. I got mine from newegg for around $70. The X4 CPU's mentioned above are nice little gamers, but you need to ensure your motherboard can handle 95W processors. I think your X2 might be 95W, so that seems like a non-issue.

Bottom line, what do you really need? I agree that the quad core may be the better investment for now. Especially if you don't have a huge monitor.

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Yes, my current processor is 95W. I'll look at the EVGA website for any BIOS updates and source that processor you suggested.

With respect to my vid card / monitor combo ... I have a 24" monitor @ 1920 by 1080, so would either of those cards you mentioned still be a good choice for an upgrade once I get the process 'up to speed'?

Thanks in advance =)