Looking to buy a cheap but good CPU

JacobG

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hello,

I'm trying to build a computer for a business. I'm trying to buy a good, cheap, and reliable processor for this computer. Any one got any good suggestions on which processor i should put in this computer?

Thanks,

Jacob G.

CDdude55

Distinguished
What kind of tasks is the system going to be running?, if you just want some good performing cheap chips there is the Core i3 2100 ($125 on Newegg), on the AMD side there is the Athlon II series which are decent little chips too, but i'd really only go over to the Athlon side if i'm looking for mainly just a cheap CPU as opposed to performance.

If it's just a general business machine where you're just going to be typing up word documents or doing projects etc. then i'd probably just pick with the lower end AMD line of chips such as the Athlon II's.

necrokamios

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
i3 2100 would be your best bet as you also get HT giving you dual core with 2 logical cores. i3 2120 would have little more to offer you, its about $20 more expensive for about 0.2ghz difference. Pair it with 4gb ram, it also has fairly good integrated graphics (if this makes any difference to you).

E6400 is about half as fast as i3-2100. The platform would not be upgradable and you would have to buy DDR2 which is more expensive than DDR3. Unless you get one of those strange s775 boards that takes DDR3, which would be just dumb imo.

For $200 USD you can get i3-2120, 8gb ddr3, and a H61 motherboard.