Sign in with
Your question

Question about Pico PSU's

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2011 3:47:22 AM

Hello everyone. I am a bit confused by these PicoPSU's. First of all I am planning on build a new system and I am not entirely sure I will be able to power it using one of these PicoPSU's.

MSI mini-ITX MoBo

Intel i3 2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1Ghz 65W CPU

OCZ Vertex Series 30GB SATA II Solid State Drive

Kingston 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333 Value RAM

The PicoPSU I want to use is the 150-XT. The problem I am having is I cannot find a 150W (or greater) 12V power adapter. The best I have found is a 120W power brick.

I've used the power supply calculators available through Thermaltake and eXtreme, and they both say the recommended PSU wattage is 150W under 100% full load.

Is that really necessary, or are the the calculators just generous? Would the 120W be enough? Thanks for taking the time to read my question!

Also, I plan on using this PC for only 1 thing that I don't think is very intensive, so a 100% load on the system is pretty unlikely.

More about : question pico psu

October 23, 2011 4:30:04 AM

Ah thank you! Something else I forgot to mention, I am planning on using the chips integrated GPU. Does anyone have any idea how much extra power that might pull?

I also would like to note that I have found 12V 150W power adapters but I they all have some sort of odd output jack. I need to keep the 2.5/5.5 output.

From what I have seen I think the 120W will suffice, at least I hope.
m
l
Related resources
!