Black border problem again

steve109

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hi Folks

Just installed a new graphics card (Asus Radeon 6850) into my system, its an i5 2500 based unit with 8gb ram. Previously the 8800GT card worked fine (yep, I know it was old but this was an incremental build) I`m using a Dell ST2210 monitor with the card connected from the DVI to the HDMI on the monitor.

Initially I got the black border around the screen in windows with the native 1920/1080 resolution. I used the catalyst control panel to reduce the overscan to zero and eliminated the border. All windows applications now run full screen. However the only remaining challenge is a game I still enjoy, Battlefield 2. When this game runs it still has a black border all around. I have checked all the in game options and set them to the correct resolution but to no avail.

Am I being dumb and missing something obvious here. My only pending action is to replace the DVI to HDMI lead with a DVI to DVI, I can`t see that that would make much difference but I`m at a loss, plus I put the lead somewhere safe for future use, so safe I cannot remeber where.

steve109

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
you need to go into your AMD catalyst driver and set overscan to the maximum with the slider.

Yep, done that, used slider to go from factory setting 15% underscan to max overscan which is 0% thats how I got the windows to fill full screen.

steve109

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Sorted, thanks folks it was the cable,was fine with Nvidia card but seem the ATI doesn`t like it using, DVI to DVI works perfectly,