Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What happened to the FZ5?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:58:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 for sale on a bunch of sites,
right when the camera came out in the US (10 April, I believe). Prices
were even dropping already - down to $429.00 on butterflyphoto.com.

Then, prices started going back up to the $499.99 price originally
listed. Now, less than a week later, no one seems to have it in stock
anymore! Even the Panasonic website says delivery date is expected to be
30 May 2005!

What happened? Anyone have any news? I didn't see anything about it on
the Panasonic website. Maybe I'll have to give them a call at their 800
number.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

More about : happened fz5

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:58:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Eric Babula" <ebabula@care2.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9638ACD97C07Cebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230...
> I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 for sale on a bunch of sites,
> right when the camera came out in the US (10 April, I believe). Prices
> were even dropping already - down to $429.00 on butterflyphoto.com.
>
> Then, prices started going back up to the $499.99 price originally
> listed. Now, less than a week later, no one seems to have it in stock
> anymore! Even the Panasonic website says delivery date is expected to be
> 30 May 2005!
>
> What happened? Anyone have any news? I didn't see anything about it on
> the Panasonic website. Maybe I'll have to give them a call at their 800
> number.

Hmmm. Interesting. I ordered one and, of course, it is on back-order.
Please post back if you learn more.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:31:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 14 Apr 2005 21:58:52 GMT, Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.com>
wrote:

>I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 for sale on a bunch of sites,
>right when the camera came out in the US (10 April, I believe). Prices
>were even dropping already - down to $429.00 on butterflyphoto.com.
>
>Then, prices started going back up to the $499.99 price originally
>listed. Now, less than a week later, no one seems to have it in stock
>anymore! Even the Panasonic website says delivery date is expected to be
>30 May 2005!
>
>What happened? Anyone have any news? [...]

Eric,

they discovered a major flaw causing the camera to freeze up for
good when certain objects are photographed. So they stopped
production and are still working on the firmware. Buyers of the
first batch will be offered a firmware upgrade in due time.

Or a container ship loaded with a million FZ5 cameras was
hijacked in the Malacca Strait, robbed and unloaded entirely.
The cameras are still in pirate custody while the pirates are
discussing for how much to sell them.

Or a big American company that has nothing to do with cameras
was just about to bring out a new product called FZ5. Their
legal department immediately sued Panasonic in an American
court, issued a cease and desist order, and now the lawyers are
at it.

Any more possibilities?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
[]
> Any more possibilities?
>
> Hans-Georg

It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
replacement will cost 50% more.

David
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:31:25 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> they discovered a major flaw causing the camera to freeze up for
> good when certain objects are photographed. So they stopped
> production and are still working on the firmware.

Hey, my KM A2 really did that with the original firmware!

> Buyers of the first batch will be offered a firmware upgrade in due time.

KM did that too :-)


--
John Bean

And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man (A. E. Housman)
April 15, 2005 4:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:6_M7e.12535$G8.4844@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> []
>> Any more possibilities?
>>
>> Hans-Georg
>
> It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
> replacement will cost 50% more.
>
> David
>

David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to break
George You-Know-Who's record . . .

.. . . if you haven't already

;-)
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:37:17 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:

>
>"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
>wrote in message news:6_M7e.12535$G8.4844@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
>> []
>>> Any more possibilities?
>>>
>>> Hans-Georg
>>
>> It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
>> replacement will cost 50% more.
>>
>> David
>>
>
>David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to break
>George You-Know-Who's record . . .
>
>. . . if you haven't already
>
>;-)
>
Not possible.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:42:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Renee wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:6_M7e.12535$G8.4844@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
>> []
>>> Any more possibilities?
>>>
>>> Hans-Georg
>>
>> It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
>> replacement will cost 50% more.
>>
>> David
>>
>
> David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to
> break George You-Know-Who's record . . .
>
> . . . if you haven't already
>
> ;-)

Well.....

I make no claims about technical superiority, I don't rubbish other
people's choices as they have different selection criteria, and I will
also say that the Nikon 990, 5700 and 8400 are excellent cameras as well.
I try to restrict my remarks to my own direct experience, as there seem to
be a lot of folks who only have access to the review sites. If I had
shares in the company it might be different!

I hope you recognised the missing <G>.

Cheers,
David
April 15, 2005 5:06:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:bFO7e.12597$G8.10965@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Renee wrote:
>> David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to
>> break George You-Know-Who's record . . .
>>
>> . . . if you haven't already
>
> Well.....
>
<snippy snip snip>
>

Two can play at that game . . . I'm taking back my <G>

:-P
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:25:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Renee wrote:
[]
> Two can play at that game . . . I'm taking back my <G>
>
> :-P

There must have been an element of truth, then!

<G>
!