ASUS P8Z68-V LE S1155 Space for Cooler

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 23, 2012 4:25:39 PM

Hello,
I finally built my first rig about a month ago, and it's running quite smoothly. However, my temps are just a tad higher than I want them to be (around 30C idle and 48C load, no oc'ing yet). I got all the cables tied off and out of the way, so I'm thinking that the problem is room on the mobo for my aftermarket cooler. I've tried several different configurations, and the cooler either puts pressure on my CPU power plug or sits against one of my DDR3 sticks.

QUESTION: Is there an aftermarket cooler which fits this motherboard better? Any other recommendations.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Core i5 2500K, 3.3 GHz, s1155, 6MB
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE S1155
Memory: Kingston DDR3 8GB 1600 HyperX T1
GPU: MSI GTX560 Ti 1GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB
SSD: Corsair Force 3 90GB
Case: Inwin BUC
PSU: Corsair AX 750W

Thanks in advance for any help. Tom's has been a huge help throughout this process.

More about : asus p8z68 s1155 space cooler

January 23, 2012 7:33:44 PM

If you point the fan at the rear of the case(optimal), does it clear the curvy heatsink? If not, did you use the standoffs? http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/download/279/fil...

Anyway, this Cooler was the old standard before the 120mm versions came out. It is still a good one, and may work better due to its smaller size. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

I will be interest to see how this works out, as I have basically the uATX version of your mobo. I am still using the stock cooler for the i3, but will probably buy a 212 Plus when I get my 2500K. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
Score
January 23, 2012 8:20:16 PM

Pointing the fan at the rear of the case:

This was actually my first configuration. The .pdf from the manual actually shows my problem pretty clearly. Here's a link to the diagram. The small box next to the right-most number '1' is where my CPU power port is located. If I put the fan on that side, it pressed against that plug pretty hard, even though I did use the standoffs. If I put the fan on the other side, it sits against the DDR sticks (you can see them on the left-most number '1').

My next move was to rotate the entire thing and let the fan blow toward the top exhaust rather than the rear. Same problem as before: it put pressure on the CPU Power plug which, in turn, puts pressure on the port itself. My final configuration, putting the fan on the bottom, makes for a pretty inefficient design, and I think that's why my temps are a little high.

Hyper TX3:

I'll check this cooler out. It does look slightly smaller, but I still wonder if it will have enough clearance for the CPU power port and plug. Thanks for this idea.

I'll keep everything updated as I go so you can see how it turns out.
Score
Related resources
January 24, 2012 12:46:12 AM

You could always go to a hydro cooler like an H60, unless you really want the air cooling. They work great degree for degree and I've never had a problem with my H50 fitting my old ASUS board or my new Gigabyte Z68. Just a suggestion, I know some people are dead set against Corsair...
Score
January 24, 2012 1:22:43 AM

I'm glad I decided on the H60 myself! I have a Hyper 212+ that I was going to continue using, but saw the H60 on sale during Thanksgiving weekend and grabbed one.

I upgraded to the system in my sig and I guess I'd have had issues myself if I had kept the 212+.

I 2nd the H60 option. But I'd try and catch it on sale myself(like I did).

Edit: After looking at the LE version and glancing in my case, which DIMMs are you using for your RAM? I'm using the Blue ones myself, and I'm pretty sure the 212+ would fit in/on mine. But then again my ram is Low Profile and so was my XMS3 kit in my old setup. Yours is ridiculously tall however.
Score
January 24, 2012 2:41:11 AM

Here's a picture of the sticks. They're tall and thick.

I like the look of the H60, and I like Corsair. I've never considered water cooling, though that's the direction I should probably think about heading if I'm serious about OC'ing. Assumption there, since I have never OC'd before. This 212 Evo is just too honkin' huge for what I'm up to, probably because of the other components (like the RAM). The H60 has a nice low profile. But, am I seeing this correctly: does it replace the rear exhaust fan?
Score
January 24, 2012 2:59:49 AM

Yes, it replaces the rear fan. I run my H50 as an intake, so cool air runs across the radiator. Some people have it as exhaust, which isn't recommended. My temps are 26C at stock load. I haven't OCed or Prime tested yet, so I don't know the high end. On my old Q8200, it ran 24C and never got over 50C OCed from 2.3 to 3.01GHz Prime loaded...
Score
January 24, 2012 4:08:41 AM

UpToElbows said:
Here's a picture of the sticks. They're tall and thick.

I like the look of the H60, and I like Corsair. I've never considered water cooling, though that's the direction I should probably think about heading if I'm serious about OC'ing. Assumption there, since I have never OC'd before. This 212 Evo is just too honkin' huge for what I'm up to, probably because of the other components (like the RAM). The H60 has a nice low profile. But, am I seeing this correctly: does it replace the rear exhaust fan?

Ah. I have the regular HyperX ram, so maybe I'll be OK. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only concern would be that my 8 pin CPU connector is in the same place. I do have it sort of folded over as part of my cable management. In fact, our boards are mostly identical with the exception of the slot end of mine being chopped to uATX.
Score
January 24, 2012 5:03:43 AM

Lots of research on this topic today. Found out a few things.

1. The InWin BUC has cable management issues. It's not a bad case for cable management; it just isn't great at it.
2. Another individual on this forum was concerned about the fan pressing against the RAM while in push configuration. One of the regulars said that they just scooted their fan up a tad to get better clearance. I'm going to test this out when I get the gumption to reapply the thermal paste and reseat again. We'll see if it affects my temps.
3. While I can't get a push/pull configuration to fit, the 212 Evo with a single fan in push configuration should be more than adequate for a stable everyday OC, and the H60 won't do me much better, degree for degree. If I can get this air cooler to work by scooching the fan up a little and monitoring the temps, then I'll probably just stick with it. Next step is to get a good guide on how to cable manage in this Buc. Sheesh.

tlmck: I'll continue keeping you updated. So far as I can tell, my current temps are acceptable. We'll see what happens when I move the fan. Then, we'll see what happens when I start OC'ing. :sarcastic:  If I continue to experience temperature problems, I will toss the 212 Evo in favor of the H60 for convenience's sake.

EDIT: Just read your latest post scottiemedic. Those are some nice temps. :o  What case do you use? Do those H50 hoses reach to the front intake? Or did you have to reverse the airflow so it comes out the front?
Score
January 25, 2012 1:30:10 AM

I'm running an Antec 300 and have the 'Back of case- rear fan running as intake-Radiator'. The hoses are a little stiff to manipulate, but never had a problem running them. I also use the 2 front fans as intake and the side and top fan as exhaust (along with PSU exhaust). All my fans except my Hydro are Yate Loons I got from Newegg and I'm slightly positive pressurized on my case, don't know if that helps with temps as opposed to negative pressure. Ive never tried neg pressure...
Score

Best solution

January 25, 2012 3:48:04 AM

UpToElbows said:
Lots of research on this topic today. Found out a few things.

1. The InWin BUC has cable management issues. It's not a bad case for cable management; it just isn't great at it.
2. Another individual on this forum was concerned about the fan pressing against the RAM while in push configuration. One of the regulars said that they just scooted their fan up a tad to get better clearance. I'm going to test this out when I get the gumption to reapply the thermal paste and reseat again. We'll see if it affects my temps.
3. While I can't get a push/pull configuration to fit, the 212 Evo with a single fan in push configuration should be more than adequate for a stable everyday OC, and the H60 won't do me much better, degree for degree. If I can get this air cooler to work by scooching the fan up a little and monitoring the temps, then I'll probably just stick with it. Next step is to get a good guide on how to cable manage in this Buc. Sheesh.

tlmck: I'll continue keeping you updated. So far as I can tell, my current temps are acceptable. We'll see what happens when I move the fan. Then, we'll see what happens when I start OC'ing. :sarcastic:  If I continue to experience temperature problems, I will toss the 212 Evo in favor of the H60 for convenience's sake.

EDIT: Just read your latest post scottiemedic. Those are some nice temps. :o  What case do you use? Do those H50 hoses reach to the front intake? Or did you have to reverse the airflow so it comes out the front?

Been doing a little homework myself. Found this Zalman cooler. Note the dimensions. It is skinnier than the CM and would probably not touch the ram or 8 pin. Was not aware Zalman made this style. I know they make good stuff though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 1, 2012 12:52:06 AM

Thank everyone for all the help. It was a difficult choice, and I wish I could've given a 'best' to everyone.

Take care, all. :hello: 
Score
February 1, 2012 12:52:18 AM

Best answer selected by UpToElbows.
Score
February 1, 2012 11:11:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!