Sign in with
Your question

Please Help - First Budget Build

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2011 7:01:25 AM

Ok, so this is my first build. My current computer was built by my brother-in-law in mid 2005. I think I can put it together myself this time.
My current system is a 2.4 GHz Celeron set on an Intel D865GBF motherboard with 2.5Gb of ram. I am running an OEM license of Windows xp Home service pack 3.

I bought a HD camcorder last year and have been storing all those memories on external HDDs. I want to start processing my videos and burn them to disks to share with family and friends. I will be using Sony Vegas pro 10 for editing my videos but do not think my current setup is powerful enough to even load the software, let alone to encode the video.

I have been scouring this forum for lots of insight and wisdom pertaining to lots of different system builds. I have been impressed with all of the helpful comments and advice given on this forum. This group has a lot of building and component knowledge unlike any community I have found. I am counting on that experience to help me build my first computer designed first and foremost to start processing my videos and burning them to Blu-ray and DVD format to not only share with my family and friends, but to preserve those memories for years to come. I would also like the new build to not be too slow and outdated for at least 3 to 4 years. My current system is about to that point.

Ok, let’s get started. Here is what I have picked out so far…

Approximate Purchase Date: Now (I have already started purchasing a couple of components)

Budget Range: 600-700 AT/AR (After Tax/After Rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: encoding H.264 and DVD, post processing photos, online kids games, web browsing, email.

Parts Not Required: speakers, monitors, keyboard, mouse, memory, or power supply (see parts already purchased)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon then Newegg. Even after TN sales tax of 9.25%, the egg is still sometimes cheaper than Amazon.

Country of Origin: US, TN

Parts Preferences: Intel, Asrock, Corsair, XPS, Cooler Master... Other suggestions

Overclocking: Probably not now, maybe a future build.

SLI or Crossfire: no current plans

Monitor Resolution: dual 1600x1200

Additional Comments: I anticipated this build before I purchased the camcorder last year and have been watching for deals on components. I was originally planning on building an enthusiast system with SLI but budget was a problem. I only purchased case and power supply thinking they were safe to purchase early on before my build was finalized. This is what I bought, Storn Scout $55 AT/AR, XPS-850W-BES 850W $112 AT/AR.

Since I am now building a budget pc, I am thinking about saving the case and power supply for a future build. I have since been looking for deals on components for a budget build now and already acquired memory and a power supply (see below).

Here is the budget system I was considering:

CPU - Core i3 2100 (amazon $125)

GPU – is one needed for my intended purpose?

MOBO - ASRock Z68 PRO3 (newegg $115 AT)

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws/(2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)(already purchased) $43 AT/AR

HDD –HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s already purchased) $60 AT

SSD – Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3 (newegg $123 AT/AR)

PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular(already purchased) $46 AT/AR

CASE - ? Should I use my Storm Scout or buy another inexpensive case?

CASE FAN – do I need extra if I do not plan on overclock?

CPU COOLER – do I need an aftermarket?

OS – Windows 7 Home or Professional 64 bit $100 - $130

I plan on picking up a blu-ray/dvd combo burner Black Friday or there abouts for around $50 - $70.

Now you have seen what I am considering, here are my questions:

1. Will I see a dramatic performance increase that would justify spending an extra $60+ to upgrade to an i5 2400 or better?

2. Do I need a GPU now for my intended purposes or pick up later when I find a good deal on one? The Asrock will support 2 monitors without a GPU.

3. What do you think about having a ssd for the OS drive and a hdd for storage? Would it be better to have a 60GB ssd to cash a hdd for the os drive?

4. Where is a good place to purchase a Windows license ? Is there an advantage to Pro vs. Home?

5. I have an OEM Windows XP license. Will I be able to reinstall it if I make major changes to my current build? Thinking about upgrading my current Celeron processor and mobo with a core 2 duo and replacing the OS hdd.

I realize this is a lot of information and I cannot express how glad I am to post here. I will try to keep up with all of the responses I get and reply in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and comments.

More about : budget build

October 23, 2011 7:28:30 AM

1. For what you want to yes, go with the i5 2400.
2. No you probably don't need one since the integrated graphics supports dual monitors.
3. If you are just going to store OS on the SSD, then go with a 60gb/64gb SSD and save some money. IF you go 64gb I suggest this.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-64-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-C...
4. Home is going to be cheaper, since you're not going to be using this as say an office computer at your company or what not. Home is sufficient.
5. You should be able to.

Your build overall looks good. Maybe just swap the SSD for the suggested one and get the i5 2400 instead. All looks good.

Maybe go with this board to save money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just reuse your Scout and no you don't need a cooler. The SB chips come with a sufficient stock one.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:41:28 AM

aznshinobi said:
1. For what you want to yes, go with the i5 2400.
2. No you probably don't need one since the integrated graphics supports dual monitors.
3. If you are just going to store OS on the SSD, then go with a 60gb/64gb SSD and save some money. IF you go 64gb I suggest this.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-64-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-C...
4. Home is going to be cheaper, since you're not going to be using this as say an office computer at your company or what not. Home is sufficient.
5. You should be able to.

Your build overall looks good. Maybe just swap the SSD for the suggested one and get the i5 2400 instead. All looks good.

Maybe go with this board to save money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just reuse your Scout and no you don't need a cooler. The SB chips come with a sufficient stock one.

aznshinobi, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for more responses from the community but I guess timing is everything and now my original post is a couple of pages back.

I liked your recommendation for a more robust cpu and have decided to opt for the 2500k. This would give me the opportunity to future upgrade and overclock if necessary.

Thanks again, for taking the time to read my long post and provide your advice. I'll keep my future posts shorter and to the point.

51T
m
l
October 25, 2011 1:51:30 AM

Ahhh then if you're getting the i5 2500K the board I suggested would be fine for a bit of overclocking room.
m
l
!