Numbers at the beginning of file names

Is is it possible to change the way XP Professional recognises and sorts file names when they begin with a number? In my previous system (2000 Pro) for file names that began with single digit numbers we began them with a <space> so that '11' did not come before '2'. XP seems to recognise the file names in a different way which means they are now (in XP) displayed out of order. Eg:

With 2000 Pro: so changed to
1jan04 <space>1jan04
11jan04 <space>2jan04
2jan04 11jan04

With XP
11jan04
<space>1jan04
<space>2jan04

Is there any way we can override the default or do we have to change the names of all our files?
Does this make any sense??
I am not an 'IT person' (as you can probably tell from the way I have worded this question) so please, if anyone out there can help, please avoid using jargon in your reply.

Many thanks
Pippa
2 answers Last reply
More about numbers beginning file names

    or you can just pu a '0' in front, that's how I do dates
    anyway. So it'd be like 01jan04 and that would come
    before 11jan04

    Yep. Use TweakUI

    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer
    ? Use intuitive filename sorting

    [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
    comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
    Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
    “File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    -----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    -----

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:84EB14A1-DD4C-4CC1-A79D-AE1618D5D481@microsoft.com,
    Pippa <Pippa@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is is it possible to change the way XP Professional recognises and
    > sorts file names when they begin with a number? In my previous
    > system (2000 Pro) for file names that began with single digit numbers
    > we began them with a <space> so that '11' did not come before '2'.
    > XP seems to recognise the file names in a different way which means
    > they are now (in XP) displayed out of order. Eg:
    >
    > With 2000 Pro: so changed to
    > 1jan04 <space>1jan04
    > 11jan04 <space>2jan04
    > 2jan04 11jan04
    >
    > With XP
    > 11jan04
    > <space>1jan04
    > <space>2jan04
    >
    > Is there any way we can override the default or do we have to change
    > the names of all our files?
    > Does this make any sense??
    > I am not an 'IT person' (as you can probably tell from the way I have
    > worded this question) so please, if anyone out there can help, please
    > avoid using jargon in your reply.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Pippa

Configuration Customization Windows XP