Numbers at the beginning of file names

August 3, 2004 7:39:01 AM

Is is it possible to change the way XP Professional recognises and sorts file names when they begin with a number? In my previous system (2000 Pro) for file names that began with single digit numbers we began them with a <space> so that '11' did not come before '2'. XP seems to recognise the file names in a different way which means they are now (in XP) displayed out of order. Eg:

With 2000 Pro: so changed to
1jan04 <space>1jan04
11jan04 <space>2jan04
2jan04 11jan04

With XP
11jan04
<space>1jan04
<space>2jan04

Is there any way we can override the default or do we have to change the names of all our files?
Does this make any sense??
I am not an 'IT person' (as you can probably tell from the way I have worded this question) so please, if anyone out there can help, please avoid using jargon in your reply.

Many thanks
Pippa
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 12:56:54 PM

or you can just pu a '0' in front, that's how I do dates
anyway. So it'd be like 01jan04 and that would come
before 11jan04

Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:17 PM

Yep. Use TweakUI

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
? Use intuitive filename sorting

[[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
“File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
-----

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

-----

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes