Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Has any guy fixd 2.1 card on PCIe1.0...u may help me!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 24, 2011 12:08:06 PM

Has any one of you fixed a PCIe2.1 card on PCIe 1. slot , perhaps you may help me !!

Here are my system specs :

Core 2 Quad 8200 2.33 Ghz
4 gb ddr2 800 Mhz
Intel DG 35 EC motherboard
windows 7 - 32 bit
Seagate 160 Gb HDD
samsung Sync master 933sn (max res . 1360 * 768 )

I am plannin to get the HD 6850

Anyways , thanks in advance .

More about : guy fixd card pcie1

August 24, 2011 12:25:24 PM

Yes it will fit fine. PCIe is fully backwards compatible. make sure your PSU is good enough for the job though, 500watts minimum i think you will be needing (tell us your PSU and we can say if it ok)
Score
0
August 24, 2011 12:32:49 PM

It probably won't run full speed (bandwidth) i think, but it will work.
Score
0
Related resources
August 24, 2011 12:35:15 PM

weezys_advocate said:
Yes it will fit fine. PCIe is fully backwards compatible. make sure your PSU is good enough for the job though, 500watts minimum i think you will be needing (tell us your PSU and we can say if it ok)

Have you tried this on a personal level though or has any of your friends tried this ?
I ask this coz many guys on this forum would contradict the stuff you said .
Score
0
August 24, 2011 12:36:58 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
It probably won't run full speed (bandwidth) i think, but it will work.


Have you tried this on a personal level though or has any of your friends tried this ?
Score
0
August 24, 2011 12:47:29 PM

Yes i had to run a PCIe2.1 on my old system while something was out for repair, it works fine. not that this matters as it is well known they are backwards compatible.
Score
0
August 24, 2011 12:56:13 PM

No, but thats the word on the net. Been googeling a couple of sites and people who did try this themselff state this. PCI is backwards compatible, the only difference between 1 and 2 is the throughput and power input. Other way around is a risk i believe ; you could fry the card. ( one guy did fry his, others state it's possible, depends on the card then ? )
A 2 gpu in a 1 slot will work anyway but the gpu will perform as a pci-e1.

Interesting thread about this ; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2.0,191...
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:07:42 PM

So your trying to convince me the putting a GPU that uses 2 in a 1 slot will fry the card ? or that putting a 1 card in a 2 slot will fry the card. i currently have a gt 120 (1) in my 2 slot as my card is being repaired. i can confirm it hasnt blown up :/  . moral of the story you can put your 6850 in a 1 slot and it will not "blow up" or whatever you are trying to suggest
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:22:26 PM

weezys_advocate said:
So your trying to convince me the putting a GPU that uses 2 in a 1 slot will fry the card ? or that putting a 1 card in a 2 slot will fry the card. i currently have a gt 120 (1) in my 2 slot as my card is being repaired. i can confirm it hasnt blown up :/  . moral of the story you can put your 6850 in a 1 slot and it will not "blow up" or whatever you are trying to suggest


Pfffffffffffff. I'm not trying to convince you that that will happen for sure. If you read it right ( an advocate should be able . . . ) I'm just warning for the possibilty, like i stated ; only one guy on the forums i visited fried his but others had no problems, it depends probably on how old the card is. It only would be a bloody shame if i stated that there was no risk what so ever, knowing that one guy did fry his, and then someone else read this thread tries a 1 gpu in a 2 slot and fries his. Anyway, Scapegoat wants a 2 gpu in a 1 slot, so again, like i stated ; putting a pci-e 2 gpu in a pci-e1 slot is risk free.
It's all about reading, maybe next time take some extra time to understand what you read before getting all worked up and making attacks, my dear advocate. :kaola: 
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:23:20 PM

weezys_advocate said:
So your trying to convince me the putting a GPU that uses 2 in a 1 slot will fry the card ? or that putting a 1 card in a 2 slot will fry the card. i currently have a gt 120 (1) in my 2 slot as my card is being repaired. i can confirm it hasnt blown up :/  . moral of the story you can put your 6850 in a 1 slot and it will not "blow up" or whatever you are trying to suggest

Man , I dont mean that its gonna blow up or ***... i just mean to say that people say stuff all the time that a PCIe2.1 card wont even boot in a PCIe1.0 version of the graphics slot and a PCIe 2.0 card would run just fine... and we are talking some considerable money here man and if that card dont work in my mobo i am in deep *** man!!!
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:26:52 PM

weezys_advocate said:
Yes i had to run a PCIe2.1 on my old system while something was out for repair, it works fine. not that this matters as it is well known they are backwards compatible.

Can you jus say what your PCIe2.1 card and your old mobo are ?
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:27:37 PM

well im glad we could all happily agree that the 6850 will work fine in a 1 slot :p  so i hope you enjoy your new card :) 
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:30:39 PM

And if anyone out there runs such type of setups ( a latest PCIe 2.1 card on a PCIe 1.0 mobo ) i would be happy to know :) 
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:31:54 PM

scapegoat_44 said:
Man , I dont mean that its gonna blow up or ***... i just mean to say that people say stuff all the time that a PCIe2.1 card wont even boot in a PCIe1.0 version of the graphics slot and a PCIe 2.0 card would run just fine... and we are talking some considerable money here man and if that card dont work in my mobo i am in deep *** man!!!


Weezys meant me by the blowing up stuff, but has a problem reading i believe. Can't you ask the retailer your buying from to insure you that it will work and otherwise have the possibilty to send it back ? Anyway all people who tried it i could find on the net got it working but indeed i can't guarantee it ; i didn't try it meselff.
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:36:12 PM

scapegoat_44 said:
Can you jus say what your PCIe2.1 card and your old mobo are ?

After confirming i can still read :p  . i ran for a week or two a gtx 560 ti on geforce 7050m. had no problems.
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:41:50 PM

weezys_advocate said:
After confirming i can still read :p  . i ran for a week or two a gtx 560 ti on geforce 7050m. had no problems.


:lol:  :pt1cable:  I'm Dutch, sue me ! :pt1cable:  :lol: 
Score
0
August 24, 2011 1:55:02 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Weezys meant me by the blowing up stuff, but has a problem reading i believe. Can't you ask the retailer your buying from to insure you that it will work and otherwise have the possibilty to send it back ? Anyway all people who tried it i could find on the net got it working but indeed i can't guarantee it ; i didn't try it meselff.

Yeah , i can ask for that ...
Score
0
August 24, 2011 2:01:51 PM

weezys_advocate said:
After confirming i can still read :p  . i ran for a week or two a gtx 560 ti on geforce 7050m. had no problems.


That sounds pretty promising mate...but found out that it got its compatibility enhanced...but my mobo doesnt even feature a BIOS update after Aug 08 :( 
Score
0
August 25, 2011 3:55:22 AM

Not even a single soul has tried this ..???
Score
0

Best solution

August 25, 2011 4:17:33 AM

weezys_advocate said:
Yes i had to run a PCIe2.1 on my old system while something was out for repair, it works fine. not that this matters as it is well known they are backwards compatible.


weezys_advocate said:
After confirming i can still read :p  . i ran for a week or two a gtx 560 ti on geforce 7050m. had no problems.

The GTX 560 Ti(and all Nvidia cards) are PCI-E 2.0, not 2.1.

2.1 cards do often have issues with 1.x slots. Not always, it is very hit or miss. Unless there is a BIOS update that addresses the issue, and you seem to be saying there isn't, then you won't know until you try it. Unless you are willing to return the card if it doesn't work out I would get a GTX 460 instead as they are all 2.0 and similar in price/performance.
Share
August 25, 2011 4:25:51 AM

I used a 6970 in a pci-e 1.0 slot for about a month while waiting on parts for my new system and it worked without a hitch. I researched it at the time and it works fine fully backwards compatible it just wont have the same bandwidth so slightly less performance (but wasn't even noticeable to me) pci-e 2 can go in pci-e 1 and vice versa it just runs at slower speeds.
Score
0
August 25, 2011 5:26:14 AM

jyjjy said:


Unless you are willing to return the card if it doesn't work out I would get a GTX 460 instead as they are all 2.0 and similar in price/performance.


I can get a GTX 460 but i havent enquired about it as i was more interested in getting HD 6850 ..... and the stuff with Nvidia cards is that they cost hell of a lot in India .... i can illustrate this with an example

The cost of GTX 550 Ti over here is US$245 whereas that of an Asus HD 6850 is US$225
Considering this GTX 460 price would be high as heck ...
Score
0
August 25, 2011 5:29:02 AM

benikens said:
I used a 6970 in a pci-e 1.0 slot for about a month while waiting on parts for my new system and it worked without a hitch. I researched it at the time and it works fine fully backwards compatible it just wont have the same bandwidth so slightly less performance (but wasn't even noticeable to me) pci-e 2 can go in pci-e 1 and vice versa it just runs at slower speeds.


HD 6970 on a PCIe1.0 ,that sounds good ..... and was your old mobo an intel chipset ? Can you specify your old mobo's specs :) 
Score
0
August 25, 2011 5:43:01 AM

My old mobo was an ASUS m2n-sli deuxe socket am2 i believe, was rocking amd 6000+ x2 cpu
Score
0
August 25, 2011 5:52:02 AM

benikens said:
My old mobo was an ASUS m2n-sli deuxe socket am2 i believe, was rocking amd 6000+ x2 cpu


Had any BIOS updates ? My intel DG35EC doesnot have one...
Score
0
August 25, 2011 6:40:41 AM

I never updated the bios on that board, whatever it had when i bought it was good enough to handle my HD 6970
Score
0
August 25, 2011 8:58:49 AM

benikens said:
I never updated the bios on that board, whatever it had when i bought it was good enough to handle my HD 6970

Thanks man ... let me better get going
Score
0
September 19, 2011 2:24:20 PM

Bought the ASUS GTX460 TOP ... Drives me Crazy !!!!
Score
0
September 19, 2011 2:32:10 PM

scapegoat_44 said:
Bought the ASUS GTX460 TOP ... Drives me Crazy !!!!

But does it work OK?
Score
0
September 19, 2011 2:50:40 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But does it work OK?


Yeah man , played PES11 without a hitch !!! Haven't tried any demanding games yet ...
Score
0
September 19, 2011 2:53:51 PM

scapegoat_44 said:
Yeah man , played PES11 without a hitch !!!

Glad to hear it, so do you think you could choose a best answer so that I can close this thread to make way for a new one?
Score
0
September 19, 2011 3:01:08 PM

Best answer selected by scapegoat_44.
Score
0
September 19, 2011 3:15:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!