Gaming PC - Looking for Adivce

hybridtracer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2 Months

Budget Range: 1500 Preferably

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Photo Editing (HDR)

Parts Not Required: Have HDDs and not sure about monitors yet

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any reccomended site

Country of Origin:USA

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: Not Sure

I'm new here so sorry up front if I didn't follow protocol. I was hoping to get some advice from people with more experience in these things. This computer will be used equally for gaming and for photo editing as well as some video editing. My main concern is I don't have much knowledge with motherboards and what makes a good one or not as the prices vary greatly. I also am not sure if it is worth getting two video cards or not. I read that the 6950 can be turned into a 6970 through firmware so two of these in crossfire should give me some longevity I think. I chose the i7 because I do a lot of photo editing and the extra speed should help a lot when editing a lot of photos in a row. I was hoping for some help on my choices and what else I need to make this a complete build. The items I have picked out come in at $1470 after rebates. I have 4 1TB HDD in my drobo that I plan on putting in the desktop so I don't need any of those.

dDmJN.jpg

dontqqnub

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Your components will work with each other, and that motherboard is fine. The only thing i suggest changing is your after market heatsink...

A guy in another thread i read the other day said, He bought a "520" then later bought a "212" and got better temps. So i suggest you get the 212 instead of 520.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

You can add another 120mm fan for push/pull configuration.

EDIT: Just in case you don't have these -
Operating System
Optical Drive
Keyboard
Mouse

hybridtracer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thats good to know, I switched it out in my cart. And I did forget the optical drive...have the rest though. Thank You

EDIT: Is it a 120mm fan that I need, the description says the one on there is a 92mm. Just wondering if the second fan should be the same or will a 120mm work?

dontqqnub

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I believe the one that it comes with is 120mm, although it does say in overviews " Plus a 92mm fan runs efficiently to deliver unparalleled cooling performance."

BUT if you check the title and description it the fan is 120mm, so i would say it is.(looks like it too)