Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer fan make so much noise on power up

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2011 10:11:32 AM

Hello,
When I turn on my computer, the fan starts up and makes a louder than usual sound, like it is spinning faster or is in a higher gear as in a vehicle. The fan should then become quieter as it changes to normal operating volume, rotation or gear. I know because it use to operate this way. Now, when I turn on the computer, it will only get quieter when I unplug the AC cord from the power supply and immediately plug it back in. The fan will then rev loudly for a few seconds and then lower its volume to its normal operating volume like it use to. My computer did this for about six months and then one day it would not start at all. I got a new power supply. It lasted about three days and then my computer was dead again. I exchanged the power supply and so far the computer is still working. For a couple days the fan sound was normal upon power up. Since then, the original symptom is back and I have to unplug the AC when I boot up or the fan noise will never rev back down. I do this because I'm afraid the fan, power supply, or anything else in the computer will break. Any ideas on my problem?
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 10:52:01 AM

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like you're using cheap power supplies, as a good quality power supply fan will be quiet at all operating speeds and will correctly speed up or slow down as needed.

My advice is go buy a quality power supply, and most likely your problem will be gone.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 10:59:00 AM

nezhed said:
Hello,
it will only get quieter when I unplug the AC cord from the power supply and immediately plug it back in

What a bad idea. Did someone tell you to do this? The delicate electronics inside your computer are having difficulties so you try to manufacture a load spike to slap them into line? Did you try kicking the computer as well?

Quote:
My computer did this for about six months and then one day it would not start at all. I got a new power supply.

One follows the other. Cause and effect.

-Which fan is it? CPU fan? Power supply fan? Case fan? Video card fan?
-Supply a full list of all the computer parts, including the brand and model number of the PSU.

m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2011 2:58:48 PM

POST testing the fans maybe? Whats your motherboard?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 11:23:11 PM

<delete>
m
l
October 19, 2012 7:42:11 PM

nezhed said:
Hello,
When I turn on my computer, the fan starts up and makes a louder than usual sound, like it is spinning faster or is in a higher gear as in a vehicle. The fan should then become quieter as it changes to normal operating volume, rotation or gear. I know because it use to operate this way. Now, when I turn on the computer, it will only get quieter when I unplug the AC cord from the power supply and immediately plug it back in. The fan will then rev loudly for a few seconds and then lower its volume to its normal operating volume like it use to. My computer did this for about six months and then one day it would not start at all. I got a new power supply. It lasted about three days and then my computer was dead again. I exchanged the power supply and so far the computer is still working. For a couple days the fan sound was normal upon power up. Since then, the original symptom is back and I have to unplug the AC when I boot up or the fan noise will never rev back down. I do this because I'm afraid the fan, power supply, or anything else in the computer will break. Any ideas on my problem?

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My computer does same thing!! I fear it could be the fan, and if fan goes out & would lose everything. My HP is probably 6 yrs old & love it cause it's still XP. Help please!
m
l
!