Need to update my BIOS, but can't get past American Megatrends screen

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi all,

I recently built an entirely new system. For the past few days i've been having a lot of stress trying to get it working (i've built 3 builds in the past, but my issue this time has been the ever-so-vague red CPU Q LED being on).
I did everything possible to try and get it working. Tested PSUs, CPUs, RAM, Motherboards, etc... my friend finally pointed out a stupid error on my part by doing a simple google search...
"Your BIOS version is from last year. You have a Vishera CPU. Those aren't supported unless you have the new 1703 BIOS build."

Lo-and-behold, I got the motherboard to post after installing an old Phenom II.

ANYWAY, my new problem... I can't even get into BIOS to flash, because it boots up, loads the American Megatrends screen, and gives me the following message.

"Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
The data in the EC or EC Flash might be corrupted.
Please contact ASUS technical support for help.
System will shut down after 15 seconds."

I have the new BIOS rom on a flash drive,ready to go... but I can't get into BIOS because the motherboard gets to here, and then shuts off...

I tried checking my connections, RAM seating (1 stick of RAM in the farthest slot), removing the CMOS battery, and clearing CMOS via the jumpers... i'm kind of stumped, though.

Any help? I feel like this is something incredible simple ._.

Thanks

EDIT: Derp, forgot the specs that matter.

ROG Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8350 Vishera
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1,000W (Gold)
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB stick of DDR3 RAM @ 1866MHz (also tried a 4GB stick of Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1333)
AMD Radeon HD 7970