Problem with new rig ASUS m5a97

CaligulasErectus

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,
My 7-8 year old prebuilt finally died out on me so I decided to go out and purchase the parts to a new computer.

But to my delight everything is plugged in and running as far as I know, but nothing shows on the monitor. Also, when I hit memcheck on the board it just blinks and blinks with or without memory in.

I also cant seem to figure out how to get the system speakers working.

My specs are:
Processor: AMD FX 4100
Board: ASUS M5a97 R2.0
Case: Antec 302
PSU:Thermaltake TR-500
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT220
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb RAM, 1333
And then a aftermarket fan, the name of which I cannot recall.

(I hope this is the correct section)

finitekomos

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Greetings,

There are some other hardware elements/details missing from your post regarding your new rig. I want you to understand that this may not be what the actual issue is, but it is important to understand your computer better.

1. The first thing I can see is that your RAM is not listed on the Qualified Vendors List for the motherboard. That is not a statement as to whether or not it will work with the board, its just a fact. Memory modules listed on the QVL are usually ones that have been tested with the board.

2. There are numerous things that can prevent a boot up or POST test. When you attempted your memory check what devices did you have connected to the computer at the time? For example, were the drives still connected and powered? Was the Video card still installed? Remove all of these devices and pull the power cables out of them then re-test if you haven't already done this.

3. Are you using an add-in sound card device, or are you relying on on-board audio? Some cards require an external power source before they function, this can in some cases prevent a successful POST.

4. Check the clear CMOS jumper and make sure its in the disabled position. It may sounds extremely obvious but I've seen that one trip up people in the past.

5.What Disks/Drives are you using in your build?

6. You have provided a GPU, but not the actual manufacturer of your video card or its memory, can you provide this information too? It may be nothing, but the GeForce 220 specifically is not mentioned on the QVL for the board. Without a model number however its not really possible to investigate that further.

That's all I can offer at the moment.

CaligulasErectus

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

1. That was the first thing I thought, and I suppose it's probably the issue. The only thing I find weird is that the motherboard makes no sound at all, and I can't seem to figure out if it has a built in speaker or not.

2. I've tried every combination of memory test, tried the 2 card I have in every slot with everything but the psu ram and cpu/fan in. It never blinks at different intervals just a constant red blinking light if I hit the button, ram or no ram.

3. No cards aside from my graphics card are currently plugged in, I was referring the post sounds computers I've built in the past have made. Some have come with speakers and others with them built in on the motherboard.

4. The CMOS jumper is in the correct slot, and I have even tried clearing it a multitude of times.

5. I'm using 2 70gb seagate drives. But neither have been plugged in for the past few agonizing hours.

6. Sorry, It's the EVGA GeForce GT 220 1gb.

Thank you for your time and help.

finitekomos

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
:sol: Hello again,

I have read the manual for your board. The system speaker is something that you will need to attach to the appropriate connector on your board. but it should reveal what is wrong. The speaker is usually supplied in the packaging that came with your board. If you power up your computer and receive an audible long beep followed by two shorter ones, you have a memory problem. This is documented on page 2-16 of your manual. I hope this helps

CaligulasErectus

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

There was no speaker in the box, and the manual makes no mention of it.

The page you told me to look at (for the M5a97 R2.0, in case you were looking at a different version) talks about plugging in sound via the built in sound card. Would that work? I'll try it anyways.

finitekomos

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
That probably wouldn't work, I see your manual has an 'included parts' list and a speaker is not on it. the next option would be to recover the one from your previous PC and use it. It should be attached to a four pin connector with two leads. You should be able to hook it up to the connector on your new motherboard.

CaligulasErectus

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

It seems like of the four computers I have, all of them are soldered in, but I'll do my best to liberate one.

Stealthycactus

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
This is a long shot, but i have the same mobo as you and i had a similar issue. unplug the computer fully from the outlet. Then hold the power button for 45sec-1min. Then plug back in and see if your monitor gets signal.