Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new PC (please help)

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2011 11:00:00 AM

Hello.

As the title says, Im going to get a new pc.
Im 16 years old , I live in hungary.
And I got 700 to 840 dollars to spend on a new pc.
I would use it for 3D modelling, HD video editing. (And some gaming of course :p  )
Here are the specifications I was thinking about :

1. Motherboard :
  2. -----------------------------------------------
  3. ASUS - P8H67 Intel H67 LGA1155 ATX ( 102 USD )
  4. It has some nice features like overclocking the processor with one click.
  6. or the cheaper one.
  8. ASUS - P8H61 ( no one click overclocking... 69 USD )
  13. Processor
  14. ----------------------------------
  15. Intel i5-2500k ( 242 USD)
  17. cheaper one
  19. Intel i5-2500 ( no overclocking , 223 USD)
  25. Memory
  26. -------------------------------
  27. 2X Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM ( the two is 55 USD)
  30. Video card
  31. ---------------------------------------------------------------
  32. Sapphire HD5850 Game Edition ATI (1 GB, 177 USD)
  36. Power supply
  37. -------------------------
  38. M-Tech MTE600W 600W, 1xFAN, 12cm 27 USD ( I dont know aynthing about power supplys..... )
  42. Sound card
  43. ---------------------------------------------
  45. No idea ... I couldnt find one yet but there are some good ones about 70-80 USD
  48. Pc case
  49. -----------------------
  50. Any about 10-20 USD

I would like to know what you think, and whch part should I change for a different one.
This will be my first pc what I "build" so I need help. :) 

PS: I would like to get Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to run nicely on it.

Thank You!

More about : buying

October 23, 2011 11:13:09 AM

verespatrik said:
Hello.

As the title says, Im going to get a new pc.
Im 16 years old , I live in hungary.
And I got 700 to 840 dollars to spend on a new pc.
I would use it for 3D modelling, HD video editing. (And some gaming of course :p  )
Here are the specifications I was thinking about :

1. Motherboard :
  2. -----------------------------------------------
  3. ASUS - P8H67 Intel H67 LGA1155 ATX ( 102 USD )
  4. It has some nice features like overclocking the processor with one click.
  6. or the cheaper one.
  8. ASUS - P8H61 ( no one click overclocking... 69 USD )
  13. Processor
  14. ----------------------------------
  15. Intel i5-2500k ( 242 USD)
  17. cheaper one
  19. Intel i5-2500 ( no overclocking , 223 USD)
  25. Memory
  26. -------------------------------
  27. 2X Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM ( the two is 55 USD)
  30. Video card
  31. ---------------------------------------------------------------
  32. Sapphire HD5850 Game Edition ATI (1 GB, 177 USD)
  36. Power supply
  37. -------------------------
  38. M-Tech MTE600W 600W, 1xFAN, 12cm 27 USD ( I dont know aynthing about power supplys..... )
  42. Sound card
  43. ---------------------------------------------
  45. No idea ... I couldnt find one yet but there are some good ones about 70-80 USD
  48. Pc case
  49. -----------------------
  50. Any about 10-20 USD

I would like to know what you think, and whch part should I change for a different one.
This will be my first pc what I "build" so I need help. :) 

PS: I would like to get Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to run nicely on it.

Thank You!

hhi. i would definatly either change your choice of motherboard or cpu for yoyr build as the "h" motherboards do not support oc'ing. when it says one click oc i think it meant the igp of the cpu. if you want to overclock ur cpu then you should opt in for a p67/z68 motherboard. if they are out of your budget tho, you could keep your current choice of motherboard and change to a cpu without a "k" in the model as they cannot be overclocked and is cheaper which since your motherboard cant anyway, you only miss out on the 4 bins of extra turbo.i would also change the psu as i dont think their are even pcie connectors to power your 5850 and its probably not reliable at all, change it to a antec or coarsair psu instaed

October 23, 2011 11:56:40 AM

Just did a build for a friend with the same price range in his mind.

To start the motherboard you have selected for your first choice is good, I chose the exact same board for my friend. I wouldn't go any less than a P67 chipset. More so if you can the board at that price new that's a good deal, Newegg and other Etailers have it for about $149 (REV 3.1). If you are looking for other choices however there are a couple I could recommend:

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3: $154.99
MSI P67A-C43 (B3): $114.99 @ Newegg

If you're particular about ASUS boards and like them you'll like the ASRock as well, while I don't condone them their parent company I believe is ASUS so you'll find they have similarities in aesthetics and quality. Also keep in mind that if you decide to Xfire or SLi the boards I provided do have more PCI-e lanes open in their configuration. While yours is at x16/x4 the boards mentioned above do x16/x8 and if you read articles related to this you will find you wont get a lot from your second card at x4 if you do happen to do a dual card configuration. Reason being I chose that for my friend is 1. It's his money and he liked the board given the info I gave him, so like yourself its ultimately your choice in what you want for your money :D .

As for the processor your choice is also good. The 2500k is a very solid processor, tom's has an article related to best CPU's for the money and in that price range you will find that that specific CPU's performance is very well worth it. However if you are on a budget and you don't do any overclocking at all you can get the 2500 and take that money to another part in your build.

The RAM is a good choice as well but I am pretty sure you can get that same style kit and same amount for roughly the same price. Again if you don't do any overclocking I would recommend these as you want some good ram with good stock specifications:

CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory:
Model CMX4GX3M2B1600C9: $34 for each kit

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory:
Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL: $29 for each kit

The video card you selected is a reasonable choice. However for that same value I would suggest a 6870, practically the same thing in terms of real world performance if not slightly better but generally newer architecture. If you aren't too particular on that a GTX 560 is also on par with a 6870 however on Newegg right now till I believe early November they'll have $$ off codes for some of the 6870's so it'll end up being cheaper than the one you selected.

The power supply honestly you don't want to cut too much slack on. Tom's hardware, again did an article recently on "generic power supplies" and how they hold up under load and generally most did not hold up too well especially for what you want, you want something of relative good quality. While I understand "good quality" is rather subjective to many builders some good examples are Silverstone, SeaSonic, Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec (especially the EarthWatts series are affordable and reliable with your budget). Look to spend roughly $70-100 comfortably for those brands in that wattage range you mentioned. You can encounter many problems with an unreliable power supply such as random shut downs, even in worse case scenario electrically shorted and destroyed parts.

Sound card you could for now do without especially given the HD audio onboard for many motherboards is adequate. But if your budget allows for it I would suggest ASUS's sound cards or an X-Fi would be good and they do have some for your price range.

I don't know of many decent quality cases for that price range you stated but an Antec 300 is a great case for budget builders. They run for $59.99 on Newegg but some sites do have promos or slightly lower prices for them. In person they look great and they look more like a higher end case. I used such a case for my friends build and it really was not a surprise to see why many budget builders love the case.

PS: Depending on your monitor resolution the suggested cards and your choice card should be fine as general hardware recommended requirements from rumors state at least a 512 MB Vid Card for Skyrim. While more info to this would be vital to a quality experience for such a game your resolution will play a big factor. But again the mentioned cards as well as your choice are all mid-high range performers and Xfire'd or SLi'd they will be even better. Refer to Tom's Hardware Graphics Hierarchy Chart Sep. 2011

Hoped all this helped and sorry if it just looks like a wall of txt :( .
Related resources
October 23, 2011 4:43:58 PM

@megadelayed @ imsurgical

Thank you for your answers!!

@megadelayed
Thanks for the answer.
I will get an i5-2500 (non overclock) and the same motherboard.
I dont think I would use overclocking a lot, ( Actually I dont even think its good for the processor to "over work" it , its like you use doppings :D  , but thats just my opinion.)

@ imsurgical
I can save some money if I dont get the overclocking processor (neither the P67) , and I can get a better PSU with that money.
The Video card, The 6870 is a little bit better then the 5850 & 6850 , but it might be out of my budget , we shall see.
First I wanted to get a 6850 but then , the 5850 is stronger ( but older as well)
Dose it make a big difference if its a never version , but not so strong?

But if I can get the 6870 , that would be the best.

I saw the Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz memory , its just 10 USD more the Kingston. I think I will get that.

The sound card, I want to get a soundcard with a.... (ermm I dont know its name) , the white and red audio input, I didnt find one yet. Maybe the external audio cards has.

Thank you for your answer.
October 23, 2011 8:12:16 PM

I noticed you had the 5850 at that listed price in your original post so that's why I pitched the 6870 :D . I'm not sure where you'll be buying the products from but have a look at the following link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

In the preceding link you'll notice at least 3 6870's with promo codes that will either bring the the mentioned cards lower in price to the 5850 or the same :) .

I realize taxes, shipping and what not can have an effect on overall price however if you can find in your area where you live the prices shown from that link and for those products that have promo codes you'll be more satisfied with the 6870.

But in terms of general performance the 6870 and 5850 "on screen" are generally the same.

And as far as the sound card with those outputs you're referring to are like composite audio I believe, one color being for a left speaker the other color being for a right speaker. You don't see many video cards with that connection in your price range however I am pretty sure they sell an adapter that plugs into a 3.5mm jack as most audio cards have and can split to the composite audio connections (red/white).

Hope this was helpful :) 
October 24, 2011 11:46:07 AM

Hy. ( I send it here as well ,PM isnt very good on this site :D  )

I checked that site.
So the 68XX series is better because its newer?
If I can find place where the 6870 isnt too expensive (about 180-200 USD) I will get that.
But, if I cant get the 6870, wich one should I get : 5850 or 6850?.

I need a mid range audio card, because I bought a pretty good microphone (SHURE SM57 , about 150 USD) for my acoutic guitar ,
And I would like to plug it in to pc , so I can record it and put some effects on it.
Now I have a "Creative SB Live! 5.1" ( old card) and it has a 3.5mm jack input, and the microphone dosnt sound very well with it. It has a little buzzing sound & ect. when I put it a bit louder.
( when I bought it in the music shop I tried it and it sounded very nice, they used and external mixer with power supply I think.)
As you preferred the Xi-fi audio card, it is a good card and not so expensive, I think I will get that and an external mixer I guess it will sound good then. :) 

Thank you very much , you helped a lot. :) 
October 28, 2011 12:43:39 PM

verespatrik said:
Hy. ( I send it here as well ,PM isnt very good on this site :D  )

I checked that site.
So the 68XX series is better because its newer?
If I can find place where the 6870 isnt too expensive (about 180-200 USD) I will get that.
But, if I cant get the 6870, wich one should I get : 5850 or 6850?.

I need a mid range audio card, because I bought a pretty good microphone (SHURE SM57 , about 150 USD) for my acoutic guitar ,
And I would like to plug it in to pc , so I can record it and put some effects on it.
Now I have a "Creative SB Live! 5.1" ( old card) and it has a 3.5mm jack input, and the microphone dosnt sound very well with it. It has a little buzzing sound & ect. when I put it a bit louder.
( when I bought it in the music shop I tried it and it sounded very nice, they used and external mixer with power supply I think.)
As you preferred the Xi-fi audio card, it is a good card and not so expensive, I think I will get that and an external mixer I guess it will sound good then. :) 

Thank you very much , you helped a lot. :) 

the 6870 is better because it has a better performance but the 68xx is not better because its newer, well it is but you cant compare directly to other gpu's, like a 6850 is not better than the 5850 performance wise, but it is better power wise and efficiency wise due to the newer design. you should try to get the 6870 but if its too expensive, and if the 5850 is the same/lower price than the 6850, then get the 5850 but if the 5850 costs more, then get the 6850.

as for the sound card, why not give the on board sound a go, as they are good enough for most people and you can always get a sound card later on if you didnt like the on board on, you never know, if you find the onboard one decent, it might even save you money!
!