Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just purchased my first Wireless-N Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 1, 2011 8:08:44 PM

I just purchased Netgear WNR1000 RangeMax from Wal-mart. I am currently using a very old Linsys WRT54G i believe. My usage includes, two iPod Touches, 2 360's, a Laptop, and Desktop. a lot of traffic. im also a hardcore gamer. Im just wondering will i see a noticable difference in the my connection speed? I purchased the new router because my old one keeps getting screwed up and im constantly restarting it like 2-3 times every 2 days or so. thanks for any input :) 

Best solution

a b F Wireless
March 1, 2011 8:25:03 PM

Assuming your Linksys was more than adequate to support the bandwidth available from your ISP, the only significant improvement you’re likely to see is between local machines where the additional bandwidth provided by wireless N is usable. So if you don't do a lot of local file transfers, it's not really that big an improvement.
March 1, 2011 8:36:40 PM

eibgrad said:
Assuming your Linksys was more than adequate to support the bandwidth available from your ISP, the only significant improvement you’re likely to see is between local machines where the additional bandwidth provided by wireless N is usable. So if you don't do a lot of local file transfers, it's not really that big an improvement.

I stream movies from PC to my Xbox 360 with Tvserity if that counts and sometimes its two 360's streaming at once, while im playing a game online. my internet is ATT DSL up to 3MB i believe.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
March 1, 2011 10:15:27 PM

Sure, that counts, but perhaps not in the same way as a say, a file transfer.

Let’s say you’re moving/copying files from PC to PC. Obviously you want the fastest transfer speed possible. Any improvement in wireless speed is going to be beneficial towards that end.

Now let’s say you want to stream content between the XBOX and the PC. In this case, while you have a faster wireless network, your streaming requirements remain constant. IOW, you still stream at whatever speed is necessary to avoid buffering. Let’s say that’s 8mbps. And let’s assume your wireless G network was capable of 12mbps. Then wireless N isn’t providing much benefit.

Now let’s say you want to stream HD content w/ the same setup, and assume that requires 25mbps. Now the wireless N network is necessary to prevent buffering.

Now let’s say you want to support MULTIPLE, CONCURRENT streams using two XBOXs. Many ppl don’t realize that only two wireless stations can be communicating at the same time. IOW, anytime one wireless station is communicating w/ another wireless station, all other wireless stations must WAIT. So even though you have more bandwidth with wireless N, that extra bandwidth is pretty much useless. Each stream has to take its turn. That’s why a wired connection is always superior to a wireless connection; wire allocates 100/1000mbps (depending on switch’s capabilities) for each connection, and they run concurrently. And if you invoke a file transfer from PC to PC while those streams are active, you make matters even worse (there’s even more competition for the wireless network). But at least the PC to PC file transfer is faster on the wireless N network, so its impact is felt over a shorter period of time. In fact, what you probably need more than speed is QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize traffic.

That’s a long and tedious way of saying, wireless N *may* provide improvement at times, but not as often as you might think. The greatest benefit comes when transferring files from one machine to another, OR, if you’re streaming HD content that simply can be handled by wireless G. But there are numerous other situations where wireless N buys you almost nothing (that’s why a lot of ppl just stick w/ wireless G, it serves their current needs). You simply have to look at each situation, understand the dynamics involved, and determined if it helps or not.
m
l
March 2, 2011 1:35:40 AM

I kind of get what your saying but im still kind of new to all of it lol. I dont know if this makes a difference but the xboxs and my PC are all wired not wireless. Only the 2 iPod Touch and the laptop are wireless.
m
l
April 10, 2011 12:21:02 AM

Best answer selected by Cored17.
m
l
!