Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital camera not communicating with computer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:47:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:

> I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.

You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?

I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
Toshiba for the driver.

There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
>
> > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
>
> You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?

Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.

> I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> Toshiba for the driver.
>
> There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.

I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
Related resources
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:06:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

On 14 Apr 2005 15:47:05 -0700, in rec.photo.digital malibu.ron@verizon.net
wrote:

>I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
>my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
>installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
>then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
>communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
>thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.

Two words... Card Reader.
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:46:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> >
> > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
>
> Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
>
> > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > Toshiba for the driver.
> >
> > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
>
> I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?

Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.

Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:46:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > >
> > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
> >
> > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
> >
> > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > >
> > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> >
> > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
>
> Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
>
> Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?

Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on the
platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
digital camera with a USB port.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:28:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-D84132.19531814042005@news.uswest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > >
> > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
> > >
> > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
> > >
> > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > >
> > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > >
> > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
> >
> > Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
> >
> > Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
>
> Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
> keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on the
> platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
> digital camera with a USB port.

Sadly, you are mistaken. I have never seen a Mac fan claim that things
don't require drivers.

Why do you feel so compelled to make up lies?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:28:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-A75F74.21285714042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-D84132.19531814042005@news.uswest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate
> > > > > > with
> > > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need
> > > > > > OS9 I
> > > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > > >
> > > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do
> > > > > you
> > > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this
> > > > > group?
> > > >
> > > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac
> > > > zealots.
> > > >
> > > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they
> > > > > have
> > > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > > >
> > > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > > >
> > > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just
> > > > work"?
> > >
> > > Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
> > >
> > > Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
> >
> > Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
> > keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on the
> > platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
> > digital camera with a USB port.
>
> Sadly, you are mistaken. I have never seen a Mac fan claim that things
> don't require drivers.

Where, in my statement above, did I say that any Mac fan claimed that
things don't require drivers? is this another one of those "IOW" that
BB's been pointing out to you?

> Why do you feel so compelled to make up lies?

Your question is based on a strawman that you built.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:39:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-5FB694.20321914042005@news.uswest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-A75F74.21285714042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Dawg-D84132.19531814042005@news.uswest.net>,
> > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate
> > > > > > > with
> > > > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need
> > > > > > > OS9 I
> > > > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9.
> > > > > > > Any
> > > > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do
> > > > > > you
> > > > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this
> > > > > > group?
> > > > >
> > > > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac
> > > > > zealots.
> > > > >
> > > > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page.
> > > > > > Contact
> > > > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > > > >
> > > > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just
> > > > > work"?
> > > >
> > > > Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
> > > >
> > > > Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
> > >
> > > Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
> > > keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on the
> > > platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
> > > digital camera with a USB port.
> >
> > Sadly, you are mistaken. I have never seen a Mac fan claim that things
> > don't require drivers.
>
> Where, in my statement above, did I say that any Mac fan claimed that
> things don't require drivers? is this another one of those "IOW" that
> BB's been pointing out to you?

What else did you mean by 'parroting minimal driver requirements' then?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:39:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-9DEDD1.21393314042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-5FB694.20321914042005@news.uswest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Nowhere-A75F74.21285714042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Dawg-D84132.19531814042005@news.uswest.net>,
> > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > > > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > In article
> > > > > > > <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not
> > > > > > > > communicate
> > > > > > > > with
> > > > > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I
> > > > > > > > need
> > > > > > > > OS9 I
> > > > > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9.
> > > > > > > > Any
> > > > > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer.
> > > > > > > Do
> > > > > > > you
> > > > > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this
> > > > > > > group?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac
> > > > > > zealots.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that
> > > > > > > they
> > > > > > > have
> > > > > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page.
> > > > > > > Contact
> > > > > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just
> > > > > > work"?
> > > > >
> > > > > Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
> > > > >
> > > > > Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
> > > >
> > > > Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
> > > > keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on
> > > > the
> > > > platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
> > > > digital camera with a USB port.
> > >
> > > Sadly, you are mistaken. I have never seen a Mac fan claim that things
> > > don't require drivers.
> >
> > Where, in my statement above, did I say that any Mac fan claimed that
> > things don't require drivers? is this another one of those "IOW" that
> > BB's been pointing out to you?
>
> What else did you mean by 'parroting minimal driver requirements' then?

I repeat the question: Where, in my statement above, did I say that any
Mac fan claimed that things don't require drivers?
April 15, 2005 4:23:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:vb1u5114qkj9t9ronsbbg7g7to765noi5k@4ax.com...
>
> Two words... Card Reader.
> ----------
Which has the great advantage of working quite well without needing lots and
lots of hocus pocus software.
Jim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:11:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

in article Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net, TravelinMan
at Nowhere@spamfree.com wrote on 4/14/05 4:15 PM:

> In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
>> my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
>> installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
>> then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
>> communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
>> thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
>
> You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
>
> I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> Toshiba for the driver.
>
> There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.

Actually, he posted a request for driver software for the camera. I didn't
have it, so I didn't respond. On the other hand, this is a different
request...how to use the camera with his iBook, and I do have an answer for
that.

My suggestion would be to get a USB based SmartMedia card reader, or a
multi-card reader that supports SmartMedia. You can find these for $10, or
sometimes free with rebate or bundled with cards. The cards will work
easily with OS 9, OS X, or with PCs if you were to switch to Windows.
They're small and draw power through USB.

The problem is with that particular camera...it's rather old (1999) and was
not very good at connecting with computers even back then. The issue was
that marketing mucky-mucks thought users would be intimidated by cameras
that mounted on the desktop, and decided there should be a software
interface to "guide people"...grrr.

It turns out that we don't totally freak out when we see a camera icon on
our desktops, and we're pretty clued in on dragging image files from that to
our computers. As a result almost all cameras now are desktop mountable,
and also tend to work very well with most camera-agnostic software such as
iPhoto on the Mac, or others.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:02:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:

> I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.

Unless Toshiba has a driver for OS9, it's probably not going to happen.
OS9 is obsolete, not much is available for it any more.

OTOH, OS9 will mount USB memories with just the basic USB software
installed (IIRC), so maybe you need to buy one of those memory
card-to-USB adapter do-hickeys. Then all you need do is plug your
camera's memory into the adapter and plug the adapter into a USB jack on
your Mac. These adapters are cheap. Mine will take Flash, Smart cards,
Secure Digital, and memory sticks. It cost me $10.00. Even if OS9 cannot
see the adapter. OSX will. Once you get the pictures on your computer,
it doesn't matter which OS you use them under.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:07:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> >
> > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
>
> Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
>
> > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > Toshiba for the driver.
> >
> > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
>
> I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?

Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9. Would this camera "just
work" under OS/2? What's the matter, don't camera manufacturers support
OS/2 with camera drivers any more than they support OS9, DOS, or any
other obsolete OS?

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:07:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > >
> > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
> >
> > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
> >
> > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > >
> > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> >
> > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
>
> Because, you cretin,

What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
with them

he insists on using OS9. Would this camera "just
> work" under OS/2? What's the matter, don't camera manufacturers support
> OS/2 with camera drivers any more than they support OS9, DOS, or any
> other obsolete OS?

This is not the attitude you portray about OS X when Windows requires a
driver.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:15:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<gmgravesnos-3CA231.19024514042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
>
> > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
>
> Unless Toshiba has a driver for OS9, it's probably not going to happen.
> OS9 is obsolete, not much is available for it any more.
>
> OTOH, OS9 will mount USB memories with just the basic USB software
> installed (IIRC), so maybe you need to buy one of those memory
> card-to-USB adapter do-hickeys. Then all you need do is plug your
> camera's memory into the adapter and plug the adapter into a USB jack on
> your Mac. These adapters are cheap. Mine will take Flash, Smart cards,
> Secure Digital, and memory sticks. It cost me $10.00. Even if OS9 cannot
> see the adapter. OSX will. Once you get the pictures on your computer,
> it doesn't matter which OS you use them under.

You will also find that Toshiba has a web page devoted to installing the
OS 9 software needed but fails to mention os X anyplace - at least that
I saw. <http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...;

--
reguarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting
the newsgroup." Andrew J. Brehm

Tim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:17:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.

Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
8.1 or later right here:
http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:17:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
>
> Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> 8.1 or later right here:
> http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...

Sure. All he has to do is find the driver.

I've explained TWICE that the driver doesn't appear to be on Toshiba's
site and he should contact them. It's not my fault he'd rather complain.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:18:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-98223E.21302014042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> > ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
> >
> > Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> > 8.1 or later right here:
> > http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...
>
> Sure. All he has to do is find the driver.

So much for his TCO, eh Joe?

> I've explained TWICE that the driver doesn't appear to be on Toshiba's
> site and he should contact them. It's not my fault he'd rather complain.

Please point out in his post where he was complaining:

"I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together."

The only one I see complaining is YOU.

Looks like he was asking for advice. Which apparently is too much to ask
from the Mac zealots on that hang out here.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:19:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-509489.20142414042005@news.uswest.net>, Dawg@dawg-
bogus-tail.com says...
> > Because, you cretin,
>
> What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
> with them

I don't know, but it's been like that for at least 20 years, so it's
about time you got used to it.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:19:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cc8e0a921ea78f098a407@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-509489.20142414042005@news.uswest.net>, Dawg@dawg-
> bogus-tail.com says...
> > > Because, you cretin,
> >
> > What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
> > with them
>
> I don't know, but it's been like that for at least 20 years, so it's
> about time you got used to it.

I'm used to it. Carrying on a mature discussion with them is an exercise
in futility.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:02:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
>
> Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> 8.1 or later right here:
> http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...

But never mentions OS X OR how to set it up in Classic (something a new
user _might_ have problems with).

--
reguarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting
the newsgroup." Andrew J. Brehm

Tim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:58:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
>
> Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> 8.1 or later right here:
> http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...

Then it looks as if Toshiba IS supporting an obsolete OS. OTOH, it
requires that the computer be BOOTED into OS9 (not run as Classic under
OSX). I don't know what Mac he has, but if it's a recent one, it won't
boot into Classic (OS9) at all, and if he loads this driver into OS9
running as Classic under OSX, it probably won't work at all. Most
hardware drivers don't work in Classic mode.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:01:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<teadams$2$0$0$3-69645B.09023815042005@news1.east.earthlink.net>,
Tim Adams <teadams$2$0$0$3@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> > ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
> >
> > Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> > 8.1 or later right here:
> > http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...
>
> But never mentions OS X OR how to set it up in Classic (something a new
> user _might_ have problems with).

Well, it does tell the user to BOOT into OS9, which newer Macs won't do
and most hardware drivers don't work in Classic mode. OTOH, OSX probably
doesn't need a driver. I've never seen a USB camera, no matter how old
or how new need a driver under OSX.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:04:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-98223E.21302014042005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> > ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
> >
> > Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> > 8.1 or later right here:
> > http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...
>
> Sure. All he has to do is find the driver.
>
> I've explained TWICE that the driver doesn't appear to be on Toshiba's
> site and he should contact them. It's not my fault he'd rather complain.

If he has a newer Mac, he won't be able to boot into OS9 anyway, and
most OS9 hardware drivers won't work in Classic mode under OSX, so he
might be out of luck irrespective of whether he gets the driver or not.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:14:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-0C7B57.20473614042005@news.uswest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-98223E.21302014042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <MPG.1cc8e04b78a6029098a406@news.verizon.net>,
> > Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-
> > > ext.news.prodigy.com>, gmgravesnos@pacbell.net says...
> > > > Because, you cretin, he insists on using OS9.
> > >
> > > Why should that be a problem? Toshiba's website says it will work on
> > > 8.1 or later right here:
> > > http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...
> >
> > Sure. All he has to do is find the driver.
>
> So much for his TCO, eh Joe?
>
> > I've explained TWICE that the driver doesn't appear to be on Toshiba's
> > site and he should contact them. It's not my fault he'd rather complain.
>
> Please point out in his post where he was complaining:
>
> "I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together."
>
> The only one I see complaining is YOU.
>
> Looks like he was asking for advice. Which apparently is too much to ask
> from the Mac zealots on that hang out here.

The OS9 driver likely won't do him any good. He says clearly here that
he HAS to open OSX and then switch to OS9. If he has a later Mac, it
won't double boot into OS9, and the OS9 driver won't work in Classic
mode. That's likely his problem. Most OS9 hardware drivers will NOT work
under Classic because there is no access to the hardware layer of OSX
from the old OS. There are SOME exceptions, Some printers work, some
don't. I suspect, that since the Toshiba site says clearly that one
needs to BOOT into OS9 to use their Mac drivers, he's out of luck. I
also suspect that his camera will interface seamlessly with OSX WITHOUT
any driver, so I really don't see what this guy's problem is. Once he
has the pictures downloaded from the camera and on his HDD, he should be
able to access them from apps running in either OSX or Classic mode.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-509489.20142414042005@news.uswest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article
> <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
> George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > >
> > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
> > >
> > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
> > >
> > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > >
> > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > >
> > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
> >
> > Because, you cretin,
>
> What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
> with them
>
> he insists on using OS9. Would this camera "just
> > work" under OS/2? What's the matter, don't camera manufacturers support
> > OS/2 with camera drivers any more than they support OS9, DOS, or any
> > other obsolete OS?
>
> This is not the attitude you portray about OS X when Windows requires a
> driver.

I was wrong (didn't go to the website before shooting from the hip. I
apologize to all for that). Apparently Toshiba DOES have a driver for
OS9 for this camera. But, the problem is likely not that OS9 requires a
driver, it's that Toshiba's OS9/OS8 driver would require that this guy
BOOT into the old OS (according to the instructions on their website),
and late model Macs WON'T DO THAT. So if he loads the driver under OS9,
and boots into OSX, then switches to OS9, and runs it in Classic mode,
the driver likely won't work because there's no direct connection
between Classic and the hardware layer in OSX. This has been true since
day one although some printer drivers continued to work, most hardware
doesn't.

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:22:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<gmgravesnos-DAAFDC.11224015042005@newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-509489.20142414042005@news.uswest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
> > George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate
> > > > > > with
> > > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need
> > > > > > OS9 I
> > > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > > >
> > > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do
> > > > > you
> > > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this
> > > > > group?
> > > >
> > > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac
> > > > zealots.
> > > >
> > > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they
> > > > > have
> > > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > > >
> > > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > > >
> > > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just
> > > > work"?
> > >
> > > Because, you cretin,
> >
> > What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
> > with them
> >
> > he insists on using OS9. Would this camera "just
> > > work" under OS/2? What's the matter, don't camera manufacturers support
> > > OS/2 with camera drivers any more than they support OS9, DOS, or any
> > > other obsolete OS?
> >
> > This is not the attitude you portray about OS X when Windows requires a
> > driver.
>
> I was wrong (didn't go to the website before shooting from the hip. I
> apologize to all for that).

No problem...just try not to shoot from the hip in the future.

> Apparently Toshiba DOES have a driver for
> OS9 for this camera. But, the problem is likely not that OS9 requires a
> driver, it's that Toshiba's OS9/OS8 driver would require that this guy
> BOOT into the old OS (according to the instructions on their website),
> and late model Macs WON'T DO THAT. So if he loads the driver under OS9,
> and boots into OSX, then switches to OS9, and runs it in Classic mode,
> the driver likely won't work because there's no direct connection
> between Classic and the hardware layer in OSX. This has been true since
> day one although some printer drivers continued to work, most hardware
> doesn't.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:24:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<teadams$2$0$0$3-60F843.22155814042005@news1.east.earthlink.net>,
Tim Adams <teadams$2$0$0$3@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article
> <gmgravesnos-3CA231.19024514042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
> George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> >
> > Unless Toshiba has a driver for OS9, it's probably not going to happen.
> > OS9 is obsolete, not much is available for it any more.
> >
> > OTOH, OS9 will mount USB memories with just the basic USB software
> > installed (IIRC), so maybe you need to buy one of those memory
> > card-to-USB adapter do-hickeys. Then all you need do is plug your
> > camera's memory into the adapter and plug the adapter into a USB jack on
> > your Mac. These adapters are cheap. Mine will take Flash, Smart cards,
> > Secure Digital, and memory sticks. It cost me $10.00. Even if OS9 cannot
> > see the adapter. OSX will. Once you get the pictures on your computer,
> > it doesn't matter which OS you use them under.
>
> You will also find that Toshiba has a web page devoted to installing the
> OS 9 software needed but fails to mention os X anyplace - at least that
> I saw. <http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_svc/svcdsc/usbmac.sh...;

That's likely because OSX doesn't need a driver for this camera (or any
other that I've ever seen).

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <Dawg-D84132.19531814042005@news.uswest.net>,
Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:

> In article <Nowhere-ECFB1F.20461814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate with
> > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need OS9 I
> > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > >
> > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do you
> > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this group?
> > >
> > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac zealots.
> > >
> > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they have
> > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > >
> > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > >
> > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just work"?
> >
> > Because it's a 6 year old camera and he doesn't have the drivers.
> >
> > Why would you expect something to work without any drivers?
>
> Oh, I don't know. Could it be because the Mac zealots on this newsgroup
> keep parroting minimal driver requirements as a way to reduce TCO on the
> platform. I might agree with you if the peripheral in question wasn't a
> digital camera with a USB port.

That's UNDER OSX, not under the OBSOLETE OS9. And I'd be almost willing
to bet money that if he plugged his Toshiba camera into OSX, it would
work WITHOUT drivers (assuming this old camera is USB).

--
George Graves
------------------
A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:40:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article
<gmgravesnos-DAAFDC.11224015042005@newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <Dawg-509489.20142414042005@news.uswest.net>,
> Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <gmgravesnos-D4B972.19070714042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
> > George Graves <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <Dawg-8F1241.19260614042005@news.qwest.net>,
> > > Dawg Tail <Dawg@dawg-bogus-tail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <Nowhere-893E2D.18155814042005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > > TravelinMan <Nowhere@spamfree.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In article <1113518825.810373.143060@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > > > malibu.ron@verizon.net wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I have a Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera that will not communicate
> > > > > > with
> > > > > > my MAC iBook PC computer. I have OSX and Classic OS9 software
> > > > > > installed. The computer will only open with OSX and when I need
> > > > > > OS9 I
> > > > > > then switch over. Someone said the reason my computer cannot
> > > > > > communicate with the Toshiba is because it uses the Classic 9. Any
> > > > > > thoughts on how to get this equipment to work together.
> > > > >
> > > > > You posted this a couple days ago and no one gave you an answer. Do
> > > > > you
> > > > > think that you're more likely to get the answer by spamming this
> > > > > group?
> > > >
> > > > Heaven forbid that someone would actually get help from the Mac
> > > > zealots.
> > > >
> > > > > I already gave you a suggestion. Toshiba's web site says that they
> > > > > have
> > > > > a driver for OS X, but it's not shown on their download page. Contact
> > > > > Toshiba for the driver.
> > > > >
> > > > > There's no real reason to want to use OS 9 any more.
> > > >
> > > > I wonder how his TCO is working out. Why doesn't this camera "just
> > > > work"?
> > >
> > > Because, you cretin,
> >
> > What is it with Mac zealots always having to insult anyone who disagrees
> > with them
> >
> > he insists on using OS9. Would this camera "just
> > > work" under OS/2? What's the matter, don't camera manufacturers support
> > > OS/2 with camera drivers any more than they support OS9, DOS, or any
> > > other obsolete OS?
> >
> > This is not the attitude you portray about OS X when Windows requires a
> > driver.
>
> I was wrong (didn't go to the website before shooting from the hip. I
> apologize to all for that). Apparently Toshiba DOES have a driver for
> OS9 for this camera.

But, unfortunately, this driver isn't available on their web site - just
directions as to how to use it. The expect owners to have their original
CD/disks evidently and have never updated it since the initial release.

> But, the problem is likely not that OS9 requires a
> driver, it's that Toshiba's OS9/OS8 driver would require that this guy
> BOOT into the old OS (according to the instructions on their website),
> and late model Macs WON'T DO THAT. So if he loads the driver under OS9,
> and boots into OSX, then switches to OS9, and runs it in Classic mode,
> the driver likely won't work because there's no direct connection
> between Classic and the hardware layer in OSX. This has been true since
> day one although some printer drivers continued to work, most hardware
> doesn't.

--
reguarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting
the newsgroup." Andrew J. Brehm

Tim
April 16, 2005 1:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"George Graves" <gmgravesnos@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:gmgravesnos-F02DD3.11245515042005@newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com...
> In article
-----SNIP---------

> That's likely because OSX doesn't need a driver for this camera (or any
> other that I've ever seen).
>
> --
> George Graves
> ------------------
> A sports car makes the journey more fun than the destination.

Very interesting discussion, to someone who does not like Macs way of
working, and who does take a certain amount of stick from Mac users, when I
have any sort of problem with my PC.

Can I assume that there are some slight problems with OS X when people who
have it, still need to use the previous OS as well. It does not strike me
as being very sensible to have to run two O.S. at the same time on the one
machine. Don't tell me that Apple have made a little "Faux Pas". Snigger!
Snigger!

Roy G
!