Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics card that runs on 160w psu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 24, 2011 2:28:13 PM

Graphics card that runs on 160w psu that can run just cause 2.


thanks.
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 2:49:22 PM

Short of the integrated video built into the motherboard of such a system (assuming this is a mini-ITX based rig or HTPC), you aren't going to find what you are looking for. The lowest wattage requirement you are likely to find, of any capability, will require a 300w power supply (PSU).

Please provide the basic specs for this system to see what can be done.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 3:06:19 PM

I don't think anything under 160 can run JC2 smoothly or in good detail.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 24, 2011 3:08:55 PM

Processor: Intel Pentinum duel core processor 2.0ghz
Ram: 2gb
current graphics card: nvidia geforce 7100 gt
OS: windows vista
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 3:15:12 PM

tricksta555 said:
Processor: Intel Pentinum duel core processor 2.0ghz
Ram: 2gb
current graphics card: nvidia geforce 7100 gt
OS: windows vista

Is this a Dell or other OEM small form factor system? If so, what model number is it?

If not, what make/model of motherboard are you using?
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 4:41:26 PM

this is a HP slimline i dont know what model or mother board
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 4:48:53 PM

Understood. Not only are your power options limiting, but you also need a low-profile GPU/video card as well.

You can try a video card such as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your HP PSU may be fine with either of these and both will outperform what you currently have. I recommend you go with the cheaper of the 2 and give it a shot.

Good luck!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:01:03 PM

**imo neither of those cards are going to net much performance but I guess thats the best option for the op with a prebuilt hp, still a solid rec as long a expectations are in place
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:04:55 PM

jjb8675309 said:
**imo neither of those cards are going to net much performance but I guess thats the best option for the op with a prebuilt hp, still a solid rec as long a expectations are in place

Agreed 100%. Given the platform, the OP's options are VERY limited. The best course of action would be a new system, altogether.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 5:04:57 PM

out of 100% how sure are you of the sapphire one?
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:08:07 PM

I used to have one of those in a Shuttle XPC (another small form factor machine). It was fairly capable and performed well, plus it was quiet. It did run hot under a full load, but your system should be fine with that. HP usually does a decent job of designing systems to deal with heat and airflow. I am 90%+ sure it will meet your basic needs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:08:47 PM

yeah save for a new build no doubt maybe pick someones second hand gaming rig off ebay, ive seen a lot a great deals going including an am3 setup with a 965 and a gtx 275, 4 gigs ram, antec 300 case, etc, going for around 250 bucks with shipping the other day, you certainly couldn't build that system new for anywhere near that price... personally thats what id do with a really low budget and basically no current system to upgrade (considering that imo it would not be worth it to spend a dime on that old platform) my 2 cents
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:10:20 PM

COLGeek said:
I used to have one of those in a Shuttle XPC (another small form factor machine). It was fairly capable and performed well, plus it was quiet. It did run hot under a full load, but your system should be fine with that. HP usually does a decent job of designing systems to deal with heat and airflow. I am 90%+ sure it will meet your basic needs.



+1 true the 4850 will probably work but again its investing in dated tech, in the end it probably makes most sense since the op probably doesn't have the budget for a whole new build, and still want to game, I can understand that...
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:11:40 PM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah save for a new build no doubt maybe pick someones second hand gaming rig off ebay, ive seen a lot a great deals going including an am3 setup with a 965 and a gtx 275, 4 gigs ram, antec 300 case, etc, going for around 250 bucks with shipping the other day, you certainly couldn't build that system new for anywhere near that price... personally thats what id do with a really low budget and basically no current system to upgrade (considering that imo it would not be worth it to spend a dime on that old platform) my 2 cents

Agreed on the concept....the HP could be converted into a Linux based firewall or small server. That is why I recommended a $39 option to the OP. I wouldn't put anything into the HP and would rather see a new rig in its place. Really a matter of need and budget.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 5:13:04 PM

IMHO, you are wasting your time.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:14:04 PM

COLGeek said:
Agreed on the concept....the HP could be converted into a Linux based firewall or small server. That is why I recommended a $39 option to the OP. I wouldn't put anything into the HP and would rather see a new rig in its place. Really a matter of need and budget.



heck yeah it doesnt take much at all to run ubuntu and could be a great backup/office rig, id do that and start saving for a new build if I was the OP but thats just me
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:16:37 PM

jjb8675309 said:
+1 true the 4850 will probably work but again its investing in dated tech, in the end it probably makes most sense since the op probably doesn't have the budget for a whole new build, and still want to game, I can understand that...

HD5450 not a HD4850 (that would never work in this rig.....)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:40:48 PM

sorry that's what I meant
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:41:21 PM

just cause 2 is very graphics bound imo
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 5:44:13 PM

jjb8675309 said:
sorry that's what I meant

Understood. I just didn't want to get the OP's hopes up.... JC2 does demand a lot, in terms of GPU performance, to provide a higher level of detail.

I think all concerned agree that the HP slimline rig is the problem here and not much can be done to make it a stronger rig.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 5:55:22 PM

hang on. so this wont run jc2
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 6:06:22 PM

It will run JC2, but given your overall system capabilities, don't expect miracles. Your biggest limitation is your PSU.

You know, you could add a supplemental PSU (like this one) and then add an even more capable GPU. But, you would then be adding more expense to a rig that should be replaced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This assumes that you remove your optical drive and use an external one (more expense).
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 6:18:43 PM

as its not my PC ( my dads he just lets me modifies it ) i wont

but will jc2 lag with the sapphire card?
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 6:21:59 PM

It will lag with either GPU if you set the graphics settings too high. You will need to make adjustments to the settings after you install the new video card and updated drivers. Make sure you download the current drivers directly from Nvidia or ATI (depending on the one you buy). Don't use whatever is sent on the disk with the GPU, those drivers will be outdated.

Also, given the lack of additional power. Under no circumstance should you try to overclock the new GPU.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 6:25:11 PM

1.how bad will it lag?
2. why cant i over clock it?
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 6:37:08 PM

tricksta555 said:
1.how bad will it lag?
2. why cant i over clock it?

1. You won't know until you install and adjust the settings. If running at medium settings, lag should be minimal.
2. More speed draws more power. More power means more heat. You are already pushing it with a weak PSU so adding additional stress to it will definitely have negative effects to the long term stability of the PSU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 6:42:48 PM

if you play at a low resolution you could get 40FPS or so on low/medium settings.
m
0
l
August 24, 2011 7:28:36 PM

do i need to plug anything in to the GPU?
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 7:32:05 PM

Not into the 2 GPUs recommended.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 2:07:08 AM

Hello, I was just googling the PSU in Slimlines as I am having a problem with the HD 5450 card you ended up recommending.
I got a hp s3500t with vista home 64bit OS, E7200 CPU, 4gb ram and now a new ASUS HD 5450 card bought to replace the Nvidia 9500gs that got to be too noise. But, although I did lots of research and though I found the card with the lowest consuption on the market - something like 20 watts under normal load, my 180W PSU is probably preventing it from working. Specifically, now that I got the card installed I cannot open ANY video or flash material, I get media player, gom etc, crashes as well as flash crashes in youtube. do any of you, wise netmates, have a suggestion? Do you think it is the PSU? Should I get a 250 or 300 watts supply for this unlucky machine? Appreciate any comments.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 7:04:30 AM

well it run fine for me and i have 160w power supply i say get a 300w psu
m
0
l
October 6, 2011 1:04:09 AM

Could I ask you a related question?

Hello, I was just googling the PSU in Slimlines as I am having a problem with the HD 5450 card you ended up recommending.

I got a hp s3500t with vista home 64bit OS, E7200 CPU, 4gb ram and now a new ASUS HD 5450 card bought to replace the Nvidia 9500gs that got to be too noise. But, although I did lots of research and thought I found the card with the lowest consuption on the market - something like 20 watts under normal load, my 180W PSU is probably preventing it from working. Specifically, now that I got the card installed I cannot open ANY video or flash material, I get media player, gom etc, crashes as well as flash crashes in youtube. But the PC itself does not crash and runs at normal resolution. Would you have any suggestion? Do you think it is the PSU? Should I get a 250 or 300 watts supply for this unlucky machine? Appreciate any comments.

re?>I was poking about and discovered this

In Device Manager
Under Display Adapter
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Conflicting device list:

Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
\Driver\VgaSave
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
\Driver\VgaSave
Memory Range 00000000000A0000 - 00000000000BFFFF used by:
\Driver\VgaSave

Network Adapters 6TO4 Adapter X 10
Isatap
MS 6TO4 Adapter #28
#44
MS ISATAP Adapter #6
MS ISATAP Adapter #6


Could this be where the secret to my *crashing avi’s and flash* lies? Before I go an’ spend 60 bucks getting a new PSU shipped to Chile. Would you happen to know of any way to resolve something like this? Thanks very much in advance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 7:29:24 AM

create a new thread it will be easier. :) 
m
0
l
!