Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti Problems!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2011 2:58:56 PM

Hey everyone. So I got a 5450 with my computer last year, and I decided to upgrade since I didn't want to worry about if I will be able to run games. So I went to Bestbuy and picked up a Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti for $200. I was extremely excited to get it into my computer. I deleted all drivers and shut my computer down. Installed the card, and started it up. Installed the drivers and restarted my computer to finalize it. As it's booting, it freezes at the welcome screen after I log-in. So I try it again. Same thing. Boot it in safe mode, delete all the drivers manually and with Driver Sweeper. This time instead of using the CDs drivers, I just download and install the one from this site. Installs fine. Restart my computer, and it freezes at the point where the 4 glowing balls come together and make the windows logo. The thing is, I can still hear it starting up. So for the hell of it, I type in my password and hit enter. Mind you all I see is a black screen with the windows 7 logo and windows 7. I hear it log in and my skype start up. I was like WTF. All I'm seeing is the black screen and such, but I hear all of it starting. So I don't know what I should do. Should I check to make sure the cards powering on. Should I just take it back? Someone help me. I'm pretty tech savy, so I would think I know what I'm doing.

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.2Ghz
6GB of DDR3 RAM
Factory Dell MB
750GB HDD 7200rpm
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Just reinstalled it a couple days ago)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5
OCZ ModXStream-Pro 600watt PSU

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
August 24, 2011 3:07:35 PM

Just checked and the fan on it is spinning and such. I'm so lost. Should I just try older drivers, like 275.xx? Maybe it will work then.
Score
August 24, 2011 3:20:30 PM

Have you tried plugging the video cable into the other slot? How does it look in safe mode?
Score
Related resources
August 24, 2011 3:24:24 PM

Yea I tried the other slot. I'm in safe mode right now talking to you.
Score
August 24, 2011 3:40:04 PM

Anyone? :??: 
Score
November 17, 2011 11:08:10 PM

Same problem, any solution yet?
Score
November 18, 2011 11:54:30 AM

This is Getdahorns. I don't know how but I got it to work. I just kept trying to re-install drivers and such, so finally I wiped my computer again, and tried it without any drivers. Put only the necessities on. After that it worked. Hope this helps :) 
Score
November 18, 2011 5:21:16 PM

You sort of overpaid, those cards run for about 140.00 online. Although you did get a Standard OEM Nvidia Card at Bestbuy, which is good. It's hard to find the OEM models online.

I had this same problem though when my Power supply was inadequate, I had to plug two PCI-E adapters into my card to fully power it.

Score
!