Turns out XFX EasyRail isn't so easy

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=273

Jonny Guru found that the XFX 1250 W unit that claims to have a single rail actually has 4 separate rails with OCP, this is good as it doesn't have 104 A that it can blast something to hell with, but it kills their statement that a single rail unit keeps you from running into OCP limits on the individual rails since that is exactly how Jonny Guru found out about the OCP limits. This means that like some "dual" rail units that were occasionally single rail units inside with deceptive labels, it would appear that there are now some "single" rail units that are really multi rail inside units with deceptive labels.

Just something fun i stumbled across today.

tlmck

Distinguished
Interesting. it just goes to show what happens when marketing people are in charge as they are in most US corporations. Some marketing VP probably got a bonus for coming up with the term "Easy Rail".

Bottom line is, they are still very good PSU's and the prices are beating most of the competition right now. I also would not put much stock in the Gold rating test as his equipment might be slightly off from what is at the factory. If it were 10% off or something, then I would question it.

4745454b

Titan
I don't get it. He give full points for being fully modular, but lying about the rails and efficiency is ok? The ATX, 4+4/8pin and possibly the 6/8pin PCIe plugs are fine to be non modular. I'd also say one to two sets of SATA plugs seeing as you will probably be using a hdd/DVD drive in a computer. I love the site, but they really need to get a better scoring system in place. (and one that doesn't vary depending on who did the testing.)

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Its because it doesn't really matter if its a single rail or multi-rail. I don't think he let them go about the efficiency. That's why he dinged the unit 0.5% on performance. The implication is that it would have scored a 10 otherwise.

tlmck

Distinguished

I think it does matter from an advertizing standpoint that they are selling a single rail. The packaging will likely get changed on the next batch with some disclaimer.

I guess they could argue though that they have a single "easy rail".

4745454b

Titan
It's not much of a ding. More so when I think he's dinged units a full point for not being fully modular. Just doesn't make sense to me. Modular isn't that important, more so when you know you'll be using certain wires/chains. .5 for lying about rails and missing the 80+ target? That's what he takes off for not being fully modular. One "crime" doesn't seem to match the other.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Sure it matters, but not for what his scoring covers. He is reviewing the unit for its ability to run your system. You could argue that he should have dinged functionality since it isn't exactly what is advertised, but I think he prefers multirail anyway.

4745454b

Titan
He does. And its fine to let single rails of low wattage through without dinging because they don't have enough power to do damage based on his welding comments. But if you have a 1250W you really want OCP on it.

I disagree that it doesn't matter. "Not for what his scoring covers"? If he dings a unit .5pts because some cables are attached even though you will use them, why didn't he ding this unit harder for failing to meet 80+ claims and not being the unit it claims to be? Again, love the site but the scoring on it really drives me nuts.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Personal opinion - Having anything over 60A on a single rail scares the hell outta me.

Plus I like ther word Quad.

I love my Quad Rail Antec :D

The Seasonic X-1250 is the same rail configuration, i asked on their forums how he got that load table and he said he got in contact with a friend over at Seasonic. Im not sure if the X-1000 units are multi rail or not.

Jonny Guru said that the only reason he encountered that issue was because of the way he was hooking up the load tester, several other reviewers tested those units without encountering an issue, it was all about where he had the connectors hooked up, for the most part it won't be an issue.

The marketing lies have been a problem for XFX for a while and they got hit for it in the first few reviews but overall its a superb unit and i feel like we should be judging a unit on its build and engineering rather than what some marketing major got to slap on the box, and if they admitted to the real load table and finally dropped their FUD about single rail being better i wouldn't have any issue with it other than the low 100% load efficiency, but you are going to be hard pressed to get a 1250 W unit over about 80% load so the efficiency will still be pretty good.

I would actually like them to adjust their OCP limits a bit, maybe add a fifth rail so you can bring those limits down a bit since OCP limits at 40 A or higher really aren't going to do anything in the event of a short, it takes too long to kick in so anything on the other end is getting cooked.

It got dinged in performance for not hitting 80 Plus. And I've only dinged half a point for other units not being fully modular. It is true I didn't ding the PSU for marketing fail. Fortunately, if you were to receive this unit w/o retail box and marketing overload, you would think nothing of it and the only short comings would be missing 80 Plus Gold.

4745454b

Titan
I suppose thats true. Someone also said other tested with no issues because they didn't wire it up the same way you did. I still believe fail is fail however. And semi mod is just as good as full mod. But in jonnyguru land semi mod is just as good as a fail it seems.