Sign in with
Your question

Will POST; won't boot

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2011 2:05:42 PM

The system appears to POST just fine. The next screen is just a perpetually blinking cursor. I've seen that it does appear to detect my RAM and my HDD during POST as well as in the BIOS. I've attempted to boot from CD but it's the same perpetually blinking cursor. The HDD and CD are definitely spinning. I'm soon going to try booting from a USB.

I've done everything I can think of: reseated everything and cleared the CMOS. It won't load the operating system with different RAM, HDD, or PSU installed.

I haven't made any recent changes. It's been sitting unused for a couple months.

Any ideas?

The system: AMD Phenom 955, Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4, Antec 650W, WD Caviar black, ATI Radeon 5850.

More about : post boot

a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2011 2:21:29 PM

Did you check to make sure your ram voltage is correct in the bios? "Auto" doesn't work correctly all the time.
October 23, 2011 3:14:00 PM

Everything is set okay. One thing I noticed, the voltages are off slightly. For example, the RAM is set to 1.5, but is receiving 1.488. I can't remember if they are always like that but I'm totally out of ideas.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2011 3:35:11 PM

Your sure you have 1.5v ram? If you have 1.65v ram and it's set to 1.5v, that would cause the problems your referring too.

Have you tried booting from your Windows cd and choosing repair?
October 23, 2011 3:42:34 PM

The RAM is supposed to be 1.65v at 1600, however it's been more stable at 1.5v at 1333. It doesn't make a difference any longer, as I've tried it both ways without booting.

I've tried booting from the CD, but it just hangs at a blinking cursor.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2011 4:43:54 PM

I don't know man, good luck.
!