NTFS Reserved space for MFT Hoe do I reduce it

Hi,

Am running XP SP1, have just nearly filled a new 200GB HDD configured as a
single primary NTFS. Diskkeeper shows about 10% of this HDD as reserved for
MFT expansion, and although it can be used for filing when the HDD is full,
it is not available for defragging, which consequently runs slower. Since my
use for this, and the next HDD to be installed is for large audio and visual
files, the ration of folders to data is relatively low. Is there any way to,
say, halve the size of this reserved space ?

TIA

Red

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP
;315688]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];315688

Turning off System Restore, rebooting, then turning it back on will
provide some additional space.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Red Kite" <RedKite@bluesky.com> wrote in message:

| Hi,
|
| Am running XP SP1, have just nearly filled a new 200GB HDD configured as a
| single primary NTFS. Diskkeeper shows about 10% of this HDD as reserved for
| MFT expansion, and although it can be used for filing when the HDD is full,
| it is not available for defragging, which consequently runs slower. Since my
| use for this, and the next HDD to be installed is for large audio and visual
| files, the ration of folders to data is relatively low. Is there any way to,
| say, halve the size of this reserved space ?
|
| TIA
|
| Red

Type MFT in help. It seems it can only be increased.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html