High-end gaming and multitasking build

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
This is a semi-new build for my new PC which I will be using for high-end gaming (Battlefield 3, Skyrim) and multi taksing such as running a virtual Windows Home Server, lots of video encoding etc.

The PSU and graphics card are from my old build.

CPU - AMD FX 8150
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D 14
Mother board - Asus Sabertooth 990FX
RAM - 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance (low profile)
Graphics card(-s) - XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB (have one, will buy another one)
SSD - 120 GB Corsair Force GT or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
HDD - two Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB in RAID0
PSU - ZM1000-HP
Case - Silverstone Raven RV02-E

Regarding the SSD choice, these two and the Adata 120 GB SSD all seem viable choices so I will probably look what is available at the time of purchase.

Monitor will probably be a Asus VK278Q

Any constructive suggestions regarding this build would be much appreciated.
Have a good day!

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
If you plan to overclock get FX 8120..It's the same CPU with FX 8150.

I would also get a cheaper 990FX motherboard like Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Regarding the CPU...
This is pretty much the same case as with the PII 955 v. PII 970, right? It's safe to say that generally the 8150 will overclock higher than the 8120, just like with the Phenoms, because better quiality chips are chosen for the top models (8150 and 970, respectively) since they have to pass thermal tests etc. Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

I chose the Sabertooth because, as you mentioned, I plan to OC as high as I can on air and the Sabertooth seems to be creaeted just for that, according to the generally positive reviews, especially in OC, and the stable power and temperature management.
I'll definitely look into the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, though - thanks for the advice!

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

All these SF SSD's are so alike and there are so many of them. I've been reading into this for months and still have not come closer to a real decision.

G

Why would you go with AMD while Intel is just the leader on the market right now?

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Well, according to tests, the 8150 is the best CPU (for a reasonable price) on the market for the tasks which I will perform. Plus, I've allways used AMD CPU's so far and have had only good experiences, thus see no reason to switch to Intel, though I'm sure they have excellent products as well.

I don't like AMD or Intel, I like good CPU's - the 8150 seems to be one. I'm aware its single-threaded performance is quite lower than that of the Intel counterparts, but there aren't many single-threaded applications left on the maret and multi-threading will only become more popular.

TRENDING THREADS