Will a 60Hz TV work with a 240Hz TV in Eyefinity?

FlyPonix

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I currently have a 32", 60Hz TV as my main computer monitor, and I'm looking to upgrade into a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup (or the nVidia equivalent...)

I would like to buy a really nice LED TV to use as the middle monitor, like a 240Hz one that has very little motion blur. Then get another cheap 32" 60Hz TV to go with the one I currently have and use them as the side monitors. Is that possible? or do I have to stick with all 60Hz TVs.

Thanks everyone.

Solution
120Hz and 240Hz HDTVs only accepts 60Hz inputs. The monitor does some internal processing to output additional frames on the screen. This helps movies look smoother. It also processes the images to "look better" however, that depends on who you ask. Movie aficionados will probably think it makes the movie looks worse since it would be different than how it was presented in the movie theater.

This video processing uses a bit of time, the more video processing is done, the more time it takes. For movies this is fine. However, for playing games it will cause artificial input lag where there will be a bit of time between your actions and when they appear on the screen. It is best to set all HDTVs to "game mode" or 60Hz to minimize input lag.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
i know a whole lot about eyefinity.....

that being said.......

i really couldnt say......i know they'll work with SLIGHTLY different refresh rates.....but that much difference.........hmmmmmm

all i can say is best buy has a really good return policy!!!

120Hz and 240Hz HDTVs only accepts 60Hz inputs. The monitor does some internal processing to output additional frames on the screen. This helps movies look smoother. It also processes the images to "look better" however, that depends on who you ask. Movie aficionados will probably think it makes the movie looks worse since it would be different than how it was presented in the movie theater.

This video processing uses a bit of time, the more video processing is done, the more time it takes. For movies this is fine. However, for playing games it will cause artificial input lag where there will be a bit of time between your actions and when they appear on the screen. It is best to set all HDTVs to "game mode" or 60Hz to minimize input lag.

Solution

Pure_McNasty

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
honestly, I would just look for a 60hz monitor rated with very low pixel response times.

Reference tftcentral.co.uk for some reviews, and for information about pixel response time. They always detail monitors ability for gaming in their reviews.

FlyPonix

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Awesome! Thank you very much for the information and links. that was exacly what I needed to know. And for some reason it was hard to find this info on google.com :)