Day old Build is Dead already

openhead

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
ok, so my mom has a laptop that has served its purpose and is on it's death bed. I decided to be nice a build her a very simple desktop setup. She only uses it for browsing the web, watchin movies and listening to music.

Yesterday I purchased the following items:

Motherboard: MSI 880GM-E35
Processor: Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W
Memory: Corsair XMS3 2 X 4GB
SSD: Corsair Nova 60GB (for the OS)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 343

I ran outta $ so I havn't picked up a proper video card yet.

So yesterday I put it all together. got the OS loaded. Spent the evening updating Windows, downloading itunes, etc. I connected her 1 TB seagete external drive and played a movie just to make sure it worked, which it did. I attempted to connect it her 42" Sanyo flat screen tv via a HDMI cable, but I got no signal. I had notice earlier that the HDMI package had been opened and taped closed. So I figured the cable was the problem. I connected it back to a Viewsonic 17" vga monitor and proceeded to share my movie collection with her, and loaded my movies on her External HD, transfering 300+ GB of video took some time so I went to sleep.

Woke up this morning computer was still on. I decided to shut it down so I could move it to a different room. I noticed as it shut down that it was loading an update. I moved it and proceeded to turn it on, but got no response.

So far I've plugged it into different outlets, used a different power cable. Everything looks fine inside. I left it alone for an hour or so, just as i decided I needed to buy a PSU tester. I hit the power button one last time. And a case fan flickered on for a second. I unplugged it from the monitor (i don't know why) and hit the power button again, and it fired up, but with no monitor I couldnt see anything. I held the power button in for over 30 seconds to turn it off, but it wouldnt turn off. finally i cut power at the source. I Plugged in a monitor. It turned on again, however I cant see anything and I cant get it to turn off again.

Sorry for the long story.

Any advice is much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS