Share an connection from a Yagi with multiple things

Garraty24

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I just moved out of my parents house to a newly constructed house about 700 feet away. At my parents I had Comcast and life was good. I had Comcast come out and look into setting up in my new place. Because my new house is about 200 feet farther back off the main road Comcast is going to charge almost 4k to hook me up.
So I need some help. I have been doing a lot of research on how to use my connection from my parents (that I pay for) at my new place.

I have a yagi antenna that has a USB wirless card connected to it that picks up my connection very well. It is great on my upstairs computer. But the problem is I have 2 other computers and game systems that also need wifi.
Does anyone know of anything I can hook the USB from my Yagi antenna in that would act as a router and transmitt the signal out over my house?
Or is there any way to share the connection I get from the upstairs computer with the rest of the stuff in my house like and Ad Hoc connection? I know Ad Hoc will not work because the computer with net is a wireless signal.

two options that come to mind using a router like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704051&cm_re=wireless_n_router-_-33-704-051-_-Product

1) download DD-WRT firmware which allows you to configure it as a wireless bridge repeater. Connect the Yagi replacing one of the antennas. Configuring it as a Bridge Repeater one of the antennas (Yagi) will connect to the internet connection the other antenna will connect to the wireless equipment in you house. LAN ports can be used too.

2) configure the wireless security. Then connect the WAN/Internet port to your computers Network card. Now enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on you computer. This will require you computer to be turned on for the rest of the wireless equipment to be able to connect to the internet.

Garraty24

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I don't really have a router. I mean I do have a router but the Yagi is actually a yagi antenna that is soldered onto a wireless usb dongle. It has a usb extension that I hook into the computer.
It called a yagi turbo antenna.
It plugs into one of my computers as a wireless card and gets like 150m. What I would like to do is somehow broadcast that out to the house. I looked atusb routers but I don't know if they would except the Yagi as an input. Any ideas on how to share this connection making it like an access point?

TencaDesign

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

See none of the answers are right and I gauss some times they just want to sale something you right. Anyway did you figure it out? I’m trying to do the very same thing with a Super USB WiFi Antenna 3 High Power Long Range 802.11 B G N Wireless Hi. I thought that I would be able to us my Ethernet router but it wants the Internet cable in for the software to install. I did notes that my laptops pick up the router signal but with a Female to Ethernet RJ45 Male Router Adapter I don’t thank that the computer will see it plug in to the router. For the driver to in stall. Anyway what did you end up doing/ do you thank that plugging the USB antenna in and installing the software and then unplugging it turn on the router with the computer end plugged in the router and then plug in the USB antenna into a USB A Female to Ethernet RJ45 Male Router Adapter then plug into the router Ethernet? I will try it and See Fred

TRENDING THREADS