Separating html files from it's folders

August 3, 2004 2:46:32 PM

Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
the following. When you save a web page using the save
as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 6:01:19 PM

Thanks a lot. Also for the fast response. When I find a
tweak or support page I save it to disk in case I need to
reinstall the system, and then is a lot of mess to have
20 html files with 20 folders. I delete the folder and
only keep the text version. Thanks again.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 6:46:30 PM

Michael Wayne wrote:
> Thanks a lot. Also for the fast response. When I find a
> tweak or support page I save it to disk in case I need to
> reinstall the system, and then is a lot of mess to have
> 20 html files with 20 folders. I delete the folder and
> only keep the text version. Thanks again.

Why not save it as the second choice in the Save As dialog. "Web archive
(single file) .mht" saves the page and all elements to one file.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

NoFileFolderConnection

SHFileOperation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Michael Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b76a01c47981$cffb1fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
the following. When you save a web page using the save
as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:55:40 AM

In Folder Options - View tab.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Michael Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b76a01c47981$cffb1fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
> the following. When you save a web page using the save
> as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
> the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
> folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
> reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
> folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
> them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
> how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:55:41 AM

I forget the obvious sometimes.

--

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uGO8aMYeEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
In Folder Options - View tab.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Michael Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b76a01c47981$cffb1fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
> the following. When you save a web page using the save
> as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
> the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
> folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
> reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
> folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
> them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
> how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:21:43 AM

I always freeze at this setting as I don't know what I want, or rather I want different behaviour every time I delete one of these files. I hate not being able to decide.

I have 15 emails from you, representing 80% of my inbox, waiting till I get around to replying. I haven't forgotten you. I will answer one month (maybe August - maybe December).

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23h2pATYeEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
I forget the obvious sometimes.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uGO8aMYeEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
In Folder Options - View tab.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Michael Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b76a01c47981$cffb1fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
> the following. When you save a web page using the save
> as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
> the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
> folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
> reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
> folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
> them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
> how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:21:44 AM

80%? LOL!
But thanks for remembering that, and you won't see any mails further till the backlog is cleared-up :-)

--

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23R349bYeEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
I always freeze at this setting as I don't know what I want, or rather I want different behaviour every time I delete one of these files. I hate not being able to decide.

I have 15 emails from you, representing 80% of my inbox, waiting till I get around to replying. I haven't forgotten you. I will answer one month (maybe August - maybe December).
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23h2pATYeEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
I forget the obvious sometimes.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uGO8aMYeEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
In Folder Options - View tab.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Michael Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b76a01c47981$cffb1fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Dear Anyone: I've been surfing for days trying to find
> the following. When you save a web page using the save
> as command, in the desktop appears to files: the html and
> the folder with the page elements. When you delete the
> folder, the html document also gets deleted. Before
> reinstalling everything I found a way to "separate" the
> folder from the html so when you delete or move any of
> them, the other keeps the same. But now I can't remember
> how. If someone can help, Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:19:54 PM

Windows (IE) itself will often crash reading MHT files. They seem prone to corruption.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o xFbBNaeEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Michael Wayne wrote:
> > Thanks a lot. Also for the fast response. When I find a
> > tweak or support page I save it to disk in case I need to
> > reinstall the system, and then is a lot of mess to have
> > 20 html files with 20 folders. I delete the folder and
> > only keep the text version. Thanks again.
>
> Why not save it as the second choice in the Save As dialog. "Web archive
> (single file) .mht" saves the page and all elements to one file.
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:19:55 PM

David Candy wrote:
> Windows (IE) itself will often crash reading MHT files. They seem
> prone to corruption.

I have heard of this, but never seen it here. However, I have seen .mht
files become corrupt and quit displaying some graphics properly. I always
attributed this to an overabundance of banner ads and the like on the saved
page.
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 4:44:52 PM

I used to save all in MHT, but too many pages crashed IE. If it's important I don't use mht. I also suspected banner ads et al, but html versions of the same page don't crash. I hate file + folder but I also prefer to see the page again.

It's so annoying.

!