Status
Not open for further replies.

alicelenore

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I just got a new computer from iBuyPower along with an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard. I have no experience with desktops so I'm not entirely sure how to tackle the problems I'm having.

My problem is that my new computer has no sound. It says no speakers or headphones are connected even when they are. I have a CD with drivers for my Asus, but when I try to install the drivers I get an error saying that my sound card has no power. I took a look and it certainly seems to be plugged into my power supply, and I'm not even sure if this is the reason I have no sound. I'd call iBuyPower but their tech support hours perfectly overlap with my school and work schedules so I don't know what to do.

I'm very confused and could use a hand. Has anyone encountered this before? Or know how to fix it? Or have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The Asus Sound card's 4 pin power connector is a tricky thing. I have the Xonar DX and you have to slightly pull the connector on the card outward before you plug into it. Don't ask me why but that's the way it is.

Sounds like the STX isn't detecting the 4-pin cable plugged into the card; went through the same thing with my Xense [though only because I forgot about the cable...]. Once the card has power, the driver install should kick off properly.

FYI, the reason teh cards need a power connector is because the PCI-E varients of ASUS/HT Omega/Auzentech's soundcards are based off a PCI C-Media chipset; the extra power is required for the PCI->PCI-E bridge chip.

tinnitus

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
check analog out selection:

324c9dd7_xonarliao.jpg

photokev1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Are you getting a error, or a warning message?
I've read and can confirm with my xonar essence that you always get a warning about that plug - That was driving me crazy too.
Just install the driver, and plug in your outputs if you have sound it's all good.

What are you going to connect to?

AncientChrono

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I'm having the exact same issue!!!

I just got my ASUS Xonar STX today, I've been troubleshooting through the vast interwebs to find a solution. In detail, here's how attempting to install the software goes: Run software. Reminds to plug in molex power cable(Check). Go into install screen. Agree with terms. Software gives me the following message: "Please plug in ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio device!" With the options of "Retry" or "Cancel".

Here is one "solution" I found might work for others, but I don't think it's the case for me. Rather then go much in detail, I'll just give a link, basically a confliction of software/hardware:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=21&model=Xonar+Essence+STX&id=20110312101917644&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

...For me, however, the "ACS-6xxx" doesn't exist in device manager, with or without hidden items enabled. Although, I did look up the latest drivers for USB 3.0 on my motherboard and downloaded them just in case(still didn't show up afterwards? Or fix the issue). *NOTE* that in device manager, it DOES pick up my sound card as a "unknown multimedia device". In other words, I think I DID install it correctly? At the very least, my PCI-E slots must be fine(I think I've had video card{s} in every different slot by now).

I have tried multiple slots now on my ASUS Crosshair Formula IV, both with the same result. I've disabled my on-board Sound card of course. I checked my drivers, everything appears to be up-to-date.

There is even an alternative Unified Xonar software made by third-party, which while seemed to half-work, it wasn't actually giving play-back. In other words, I still need my original drivers installed.

I will say this much to the post of tinmann; I'll fiddle with the molex power connection a bit. Maybe there is a sweet-spot, and this is the stupidest series of issues I've ever dealt with ever.

I just got my ASUS Xonar STX today, I've been troubleshooting through the vast interwebs to find a solution. In detail, here's how attempting to install the software goes: Run software. Reminds to plug in molex power cable(Check). Go into install screen. Agree with terms. Software gives me the following message: "Please plug in ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio device!" With the options of "Retry" or "Cancel".

Here is one "solution" I found might work for others, but I don't think it's the case for me. Rather then go much in detail, I'll just give a link, basically a confliction of software/hardware:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=21&model=Xonar+Essence+STX&id=20110312101917644&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

...For me, however, the "ACS-6xxx" doesn't exist in device manager, with or without hidden items enabled. Although, I did look up the latest drivers for USB 3.0 on my motherboard and downloaded them just in case(still didn't show up afterwards? Or fix the issue). *NOTE* that in device manager, it DOES pick up my sound card as a "unknown multimedia device". In other words, I think I DID install it correctly? At the very least, my PCI-E slots must be fine(I think I've had video card{s} in every different slot by now).

I have tried multiple slots now on my ASUS Crosshair Formula IV, both with the same result. I've disabled my on-board Sound card of course. I checked my drivers, everything appears to be up-to-date.

There is even an alternative Unified Xonar software made by third-party, which while seemed to half-work, it wasn't actually giving play-back. In other words, I still need my original drivers installed.

I will say this much to the post of tinmann; I'll fiddle with the molex power connection a bit. Maybe there is a sweet-spot, and this is the stupidest series of issues I've ever dealt with ever.

Sorry for the long post, but, information is power right? I'll post my results with tinkering on power/molex cord, if anything significant changes.

I'll say a LOT of people seem to need to fiddle with the 4-pin. Mine worked more or less fine, but enough people have complained where it probably is a very loose fit or something...

Though this is why I typically recommend the PCI varients of the cards in most cases, which eliminates the need for that pesky connector.

AncientChrono

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Alright, in Response to this entire thread and, I have found the solution.

Obviously everything that has been listed are legitimate problems, however, I found the solution to OUR problem with the Xonar cards.

This:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure

Basically, something within the hardware is screwed up, and you have to boot off of some kind of tool to fix it. Now, I actually haven't been able to fix it myself due to time issues and updating my own current bios, along with a few other things, but rest assured after reading about probably EVERY single problem this card is capable of, I'm pretty sure this is it. Why? Because I've tried everything else.

I'll post tomorrow my chosen method, and how smooth/rough it goes. Go figure that wikipedia, a site that anyone can change information on, is the one that has the solution huh?

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
....Tell me man did you ever solve your problem that you had no sound...Myself my card wasn't being recongized after going on line to get the latest drivers after installing, it kept on asking me to plug the card in but what it was was a Pci express x1 slot setting on the motherboard but now its boss...For a while i thought it was the 4 pin power connector but i plugged in a Fan i had and it worked fine so i knew then it was a setting on the motherboard..With these new motherboards you never know what to expect..

Status
Not open for further replies.