Which PSU? (AMD Phenom II X4 970)

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hi all

I'm busy building a mid-range PC for my dad and I just wanted to clarify if his current 470W PSU will have enough power to run the following components:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE (3.3Ghz)
MOBO: MSI 890GXM-G65
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GT

Having just consulted the PSU sticky, I think that it should be sufficient.

Please confirm.

Thanks

Logisys?? :pfff: :pfff: They offer some of the worst PSU-shaped objects you can find. They should NEVER be attached to computer components if there is any chance they will be connected to a live A/C power source at the same time.
What brand and model is the "470W" PSU?
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Logisys, Diablotek, Apevia, and Coolermaster are not.
A 380W Antec Earthwatts would run your father's system just fine. If you think he will install a more powerful GPU, then you would probably want the 500W model. The PSU calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp can be used to estimate requirements.

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
My dad has just told me that he wants to upgrade to an EVGA 560 Ti. So I gues that means that I need at least a 500Watt PSU...

not just wattage but even a good quality 450 watt psu will run a 560 ti

Short answer: Get a 500W Antec Earthwatts and you're done.
Longer answer: Sometimes you can find a good deal on a Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair PSU. Most of them are 80+ bronze or better. I think the 430W Earthwatts would be a little small for a GTX560Ti, but anything 500W or bigger would be fine.

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks guys. I'll do some searching and come up with a solid PSU. I myself have a SeaSonic 620W, but I'm ideally looking to find a modular PSU (Corsair) that isn't too expensive for myself.

A side query:

I assume that I shouldn't have trouble using my SeaSonic 620W to run the following, right?

Intel i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
One GTX 560 Ti FPB
+ A motherboard with 2 PCI-E slots (to run dual-SLI eventually) - I'm still doing research on the best mobo that isn't too costly...

good cheap and modular

this will do

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182131

pretty good same internals as the ocz zs 550
also a 650 and 750 version available