DOES THE P8H61 MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT 1666MHz RAM?

KeanoTheLegend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I was just wondering if my ASUS P8H61 Motherboard can support 1666MHz Ram because I don't want it to be incompatible. Also, the amount of RAM that I will be getting is 8GB if that makes any difference.

You mean 1866 mhz or 1600mhz if so no it will not run at those speeds, but it doesn't mean they can be incompatible.

2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
That what the mobo page says.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I believe it does not support the speed of 1666mhz as stated on the Asus website:

" 2x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* The maximum 16GB memory capacity can be supported with 8GB or above DIMMs. ASUS will update the memory QVL once the DIMMs are available in the market.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard."

That being said, I believe the motherboard will downclock the ram to 1333mhz. Anyways you sure it isn't 1600mhz?

Edit: Darn it, beaten by 10 seconds :lol:

socialfox

Distinguished
I would say the difference is not visible when doing stuff (i.e. gaming), I only see a difference when it comes to benchmarks. I myself am running 2x4gb 1333mhz ram modules and its pretty fast. Technically the difference is 267 mhz which in my opinion is not too much of a difference.

Edit: I would just suggest going with 1600mhz since its often around the same price of 1333mhz.