FX 8150 Are Theses Temps Normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Will try to keep this short and to the point. My new parts just arrived this evening and got it all put together and installed windows on it. I noticed the temps in BIOS where climbing to 60c and was teetering on the line of 60-62.

Once in windows I ran prime and sure enough it jumps up to 60c in no time, and teeters from 60-62c once it gets that hot I stop workers and turn the desk fan on. (its not in a case atm, setting on wooden desk). I thought it was weird so i have cleaned and reapplied my AS5 3 times, each time lowering the amount i used by a little bit as i put a hair to much. I used 91% alcohol, and did it right. Don't think I can get it any batter that it is now. Why are my Temps SO high?

What im working with:
Room Temp ~72
Stock Core & Multiplier
Stock HSF
AS5 Paste

Computer Specs:
MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640)
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (stock clock & HSF)
XFX Radeon HD 6950
G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBZL
OCZ-VERTEX3 (90 GB)
Rosewill LIGHTNING-800 PSU
Win 7 64bit

Here is a screenshot:

PS, time is wrong, just made screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Edit: Forgot to mention I flashed the bios to most current version 11.8

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for such a fast reply, Yeah i saw that review before I purchased this thing :), I will later be buying the h100 but must first recoup from what I have spent so far.

That is one of the reasons I am so confused. I am got it thinking I was going to let the cpu set in and get this thing to 4ghz on all 8 cores with no hesitation and easy on the temps as everyone else does.

1. What should be my next step?
2. Is it alright to run prime with temps at 60-63c range? Don't want to dramatically shorten its life being at max temps. Obviously somethings wrong. :pfff:

I'm dumbfounded on what the cause could be..

I am going to re-clean the hsf and cpu and re-apply some my as5. I will take a picture of the amount I use. Will keep you posted.

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Took Some pictures of where it sits and how my as5 had spread out. I'm even more puzzled than before!! Its fine.. at least to my eyes. i could probably put a dab more if i wanted.. Do you think it is because its not in a case? Never had that problem before but figured I could get some other opinions.

Going to reapply for the last time before i run out of as5.

Bench:

CPU & HSF:

I'm lost, what you guys think?? [:huntluck]

AS5 looks just a touch heavy - but nothing to get excited about or that would make a huge difference. Even before cure time it should be within a few degrees of it's final capability.
1. What speed in the CPU fan running at during load tests?
2. No drama to see the temps hanging around the low 60s in a full load test. Do you see any sign of the CPUs throttling down?
3. Likewise.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
looks like the 62C is your motherboard socket temp looking at the shot of the hardware monitor, thats probably about right without having constant ventilation across the board.

the cpu temp shown at 49c max, wich is probably a little high with the stock cooler. I never did test with it.

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Ok, cleaned it off.

Got it put back on now about to switch computers and start it up again, this time will try to start it up not laying flat.

Put about same size dot as last time.

AS5 looks just a touch heavy - but nothing to get excited about or that would make a huge difference. Even before cure time it should be within a few degrees of it's final capability.
1. What speed in the CPU fan running at during load tests?
2. No drama to see the temps hanging around the low 60s in a full load test. Do you see any sign of the CPUs throttling down?
3. Likewise.

1: 3432 rpm
2: Nope stayed a consistent 3.6ghz (did drop to 3.3 every so often for a split second)

I use the credit card method. Not everybody believes in it and it's a bit more trouble but I've found it gives the best temps.

I'm to afraid to try that method just because i am low on AS5, and i have heard to many bad things :/ no offense at all.

looks like the 62C is your motherboard socket temp looking at the shot of the hardware monitor, thats probably about right without having constant ventilation across the board.

the cpu temp shown at 49c max, which is probably a little high with the stock cooler. I never did test with it.

Shouldn't I go by the socket temp? I thought that is the most accurate? Or should i be looking at the actual core temp? This question goes to everyone. Any thoughts on that? :heink:

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Spreading with a credit card = air bubbles, don't listen to finneous.

Anyways, 62c isn't so bad you need to call the fire department, it wont shorten the life so dramatically that you will have to RMA it within the next 5 years, lol.

Though, if you do care for lower temps, i do see that you have your motherboard positioned in a way where the ram's fans might be blocking some airflow through the fins of your cpu heatsink, maybe if you flipped it 180' you would have slightly better temps.

If that doesn't help, you can pick up a 212 EVO.

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

[:fisshy:2] HOW... Did I over look that. I noticed it but I figured I should go by the actual socket temp on TMPIN0.

So I am safe? It worried me that the bios was showing 62c and ofc on the socket temp display on the mobo.

I guess what I am getting at... Is it 100% safe that my TMPIN0 Sensor shows 62c? Or is that a problem?

I have a antec 85 next to me, LOVE IT. Will be buying another one for this build soon.

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

I value your opinion, and appreciate the response, but I am just extremely Leary of the spread method, no hard feeling at all

chasemerola

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
But still confused on if it is safe or not? I thought that TMPIN0 should be cooler than the actual cores.. is 62c safe?

Strait forward, could I overclock it seeing that the core is only ready 48c under FULL 8 core load. While TMPIN0 is so high? :heink:

Mobo Position now

Without prime:

With prime:

Core temps are more important. Sometimes it depends on the reporting software. Speed fan keeps telling me that my Vertex III SSD is running at 128C. It is blatantly wrong, but other temps it reports accurately. But core temps are what you should be concrened with, especially if overclocking or performance testing.

In other words, I don't think you should worry about the tempin0 reading. I find the motherboard readings directly from the BIOS are the most accurate, because the readings don't have to be translated to windows. If you are concerned, check the readings from the BIOS or another windows program. If you have catalyst control center (AMD vision control) then you can use the AMD overdrive utility to monitor temps and do some stress testing.

Typically ambient CPU readings should be about 10C less than the core readings. 10 degrees more should tell you there is something amiss with the reporting software.

Cure time for AS5 is two weeks. This requires periods of uptime and downtime, so I recommend shutting down overnight. It will mean a difference of up to 5C. As far as burn-in goes, unlike some other people I am going to recommend only an hour of stress testing at a time. And for this particular CPU, which can pull up to 300W at the highest overclock settings, you need a more robust heatsink. Water cooling isn't necessary, but the Hyper 212+ recommendation is a solid one.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
in short for me get a better cooler.

the standard is shite simple as that.

i have the 8150 chip and i get temps no more than 50c while running a benchmark or prime or anything else lowest is about 24 with a H80 cooler from Corsair. and as the above post said use a credit card. its the most smooth method out there tbh and easy to clean and still use it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS