Sign in with
Your question

Cpu upgrade, now my computer freezes

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2012 8:11:50 AM

Yesterday i upgraded my PC from a Pentium 4 3.2ghz to a core 2 duo e6750 i bought secondhand off eBay. the cpu made the computer way faster however now when i'm watching youtube videos it just sometimes randomly freezes leaving the audio playing and the only way to unfreeze it is to reboot or alt, ctrl. del then log off.

I think it could be bios settings are wrong or maybe because the OS was installed with the Pentium 4 it could be causing it to glitch and a reinstall would fix it. Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2012 8:23:28 AM

Hey, I recommend BIOS update, but take care when doing the update. also try any other suggestions first.
January 24, 2012 8:32:02 AM

The board is a asrock g41m-vs3 if that helps.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2012 8:37:54 AM

try running prime95 and see if the cpu is stable. also check the temperatures.
January 24, 2012 8:41:44 AM

I tried that, nothing crashed and my temps where cpu 45, core1 43, core2 42. i'm really stuck on this one because it runs perfectly stable on everything except youtube and the pc is a 3 month old build that i had to get a better cpu for :/ 
January 24, 2012 9:10:38 AM

load default settings in bios . check All screws in above processor is correctly fitted, the thermal paste is correctly applied, download and instal gamebooster (free)it can speed up pc. Scan for virus and spyware using superantispyware(free)and avg antivirus(free) update al , scan pc ,delete al virus,hackers,spywares,trojens,etc ,after al scan finished delete listed virus, then restart ,next day uninstal superantispyware. only use 1 antivirus software ,2 or more corrupt or slow down system.
January 24, 2012 9:21:30 AM

I've run multiple anti virus and scanned clean. I just ran registry mechanic so i'll see if the problem shows up again
a c 117 à CPUs
January 24, 2012 2:50:57 PM

I'd update the vga driver if using onboard and download the latest flashplayer version.
January 24, 2012 2:55:46 PM

davcon said:
I'd update the vga driver if using onboard and download the latest flashplayer version.

will try that, i have the latest flash player but the vga driver is what came with the board when i bought it. As for now it hasn't froze since i ran registry machine which detected 1203 errors.
a c 117 à CPUs
January 24, 2012 2:59:36 PM

someone2 said:
will try that, i have the latest flash player but the vga driver is what came with the board when i bought it. As for now it hasn't froze since i ran registry machine which detected 1203 errors.

You're right though,a clean re-install does wonders imo.
I've re-installed Win7 3 times since 2009.
January 24, 2012 11:43:55 PM

I used to do that, then i found the image software built into windows and used that. It's great having to only spend 10 minutes to have my system fresh it used to take me hours.
!