Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on budget gaming htpc ($500)

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2011 1:04:08 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Christmas

Budget Range: $500-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching movies, Gaming, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case, OS (I basically only need the components inside the case)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch

Country of Origin: The Netherlands

Parts Preferences: Intel (processor) and Gigabyte (motherboard), there might be a chance to turn this system into a hackintosh and I read those don't run on AMD or motherboards from other brands.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: ~720p (I think it's 1280x720.. it's a Samsung 37" LCD TV)

Additional Comments: I'd like to use the pc mainly for watching movies. The components will probably be residing in an Antec Fusion case because the pc will be placed in the living room and hooked up on the tv. A tower would be an eye sore and a low profile case can't fit a standard height graphics card so that's why I chose that particular case. My little brother is usually using the pc and would like to take on gaming. He hasn't had any history of playing any hardcore games but would like to start playing games such as call of duty. I've heard the 6770 does pretty well under 720p at high settings and the i3 2100, although considered budget, is pretty darn fast. I was told RAM speed doesn't really matter when not overclocking. I came up with the following setup but would really like to hear suggestions if there are any.

- Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 ($75)
- Intel Core i3 2100 ($135)
- Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 ($125)
- Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 2x2GB 1333Mhz ($30)
- Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB ($75)
- bequiet! Pure Power L7 350W ($55)

Full list with all components and prices (in euros):
http://tweakers.net/gallery/121722?wish_id=204054#tab:w...

Total price: $495

Thanks!
!