Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GTS450 performance problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2011 7:48:20 AM

Hey everybody.

Hopefully I can get some valuable advice for my situation and will accept and appreciate any advice people can give.
I have been getting performance issues with my GTS450 pretty much since the day I got it. I know it's an outdated graphics card, even at the time I bought it. That said I will explain a little further.

My major issue is with Fallout: New Vegas, hey, I know it's a buggy game on PC to begin with. With the specs of my CPU and recommendations directly from Nvidia.com on what I should be running the game at. I really should be getting better performance. I am playing the game at Medium to Low settings with no AA or multisampling at 1280-800 rez. The recommended settings are High to maxed out. I have been talking to friends with lower spec rigs. They say they are having no problems running the game on high with Multi Sampling and AA. I also turn up my fan while gaming for a cooler performance using VTune

I can play Battlefield Bad Company 2 NOT maxed out but at a decent settings. I am in the process of saving up cash to build a new rig, but in the mean time it would be nice to have the best gaming experience I can with the hardware that I have.

CPU:
AMD x2 core 2.7ghz
4 gigs ram
Asus motherboard
Nvidia GTS 450 1 gig ram
1 TB harddrive
DX 11
Windows Vista (32bit) LOL :p 

P.S It is not my internet connection. I have a 25MB down and 2.5MB up cable connection

Thanks in advance gents

a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 8:25:07 AM

What's the current graphic driver you're using? Sometimes driver update will ruin the game experience, other time it will improve it. Most of the time.. it's improvements but there's usually kinks here and there. Here's the site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-280.26...

I would consider getting a better CPU. As you may already know, AMD is far behind Intel in CPU [not going to include APU into this]. If your motherboard can support AM3, then I wouldn't hesitate to grab the Phenom II x4 955 for $120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you can't spend that much.. then you acn always get the Phenom II x2 555 and unlock the cores [hopefully your motherboard has that option/look into it]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's not a guarantee unlock.. if it does fail dont fret! it's already badass by itself.. unlocking it just makes it more awesome :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 9:04:02 AM

The resolution 1280-800 seems, the card you have can handle just fine with most of the the today's games can be maxed out. Definitely there is some problems on your system.I suspects there is CPU bottlenecking on your system since you have a very old AMD X2 CPU. Any how the things you should check to fix the problem as follows:

1. Check if you have a good PSU of at least 500watts.
2. Ensure you have connected the PCI-E power plug to the card.
3. Check the temperature of your cards GPU while gaming if its less than 85C then its fine.
4. Use the latest drivers for your graphics card and sound card.
5. Since you have 4GB of ram use should use a 64bit OS. That should give an additional 1gb of RAM to your system.
6. Also try using the card on a higher end machine to ensure that your CPU is not the cause of slow down.

Hopes these steps can solve your problem......... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 10:29:41 AM

no way.the gts 450 is a little weaker than 5770 which handles 1680X1050 with ease.Hell,one of my firends owns a 5770 and he can max crysis 2 in dx 9 at 1080p.the gts 450 aint that much weaker and it should destroy fallout vegas.I get 100 fps in that game with my gtx 275 (I think)
m
l
!