Not open for further replies.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello everyone.

I was wondering how those molex adapter works:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Molex-to-PCI-Express-Adapter.htm

I have one Corsair PSU gs700:
http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/gaming-series-power-supply-units/gs700w.html

I was thinking in a close future to buy another 560ti, to make SLI, and i was reading lots of reviews about, some people say it is not possible with gs700, others say it is...

But my question is about the molex adapter, because i need use 2 more (they already came in the box) so i believe it is something that should work, anyways, i was wondering, does each molex from the adapter need one dedicated psu molex? or i can use both molex in the same cable... by the psu specifications i believe it will work on each cable, since they have 56A on +12v.

But i was looking for some feedback, if this is correct, and if there is any other information that may help me to improve the use of those molex adapters;

Thanks for all.

Solution
Hello ricardois;

It's a correct and approved method of getting extra power to the graphics cards.
You can safely use both molex on the same cable if it helps you keep a tidy case (cable management).

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
More than this, the card will not boot if there is no supplementary power attached; the card's BIOS should check.

Only if the power supply is single rail where all power for a given voltage is supplied from one tap on the transformer.

If the PSU is multi-rail, where there are several transformer taps (or a single tap is split before the regulating circuitry) and each has a limited capacity, you need to spread the molex-PCIe adaptors on different cables. You can over-draw from one rail and none from another in that instance.

@ricardois: I checked your link to the PSU but I cannot confirm from the specs that it is single rail. Others may have better knowledge on that score.

Q

Status
Not open for further replies.