My Virtual Private Network is Public

Tags:
  • VPN
  • IP Address
  • WiFi
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 25, 2010 11:51:38 AM

I live in a RV in an RV park which has free public wifi for all to use. I realize that open wifi is about as secure as keeping all your personal belongings outside for all to see. I am disabled and do a lot of online shopping with my very limited income. So I paid a small monthly fee for a VPN so I could at least do these things some what secure. Well for some reason the landlords or owners seemed to have blocked my VPN. It says it connected to the VPN but it is still using the landlords ip address, which they still see me, Is this normal? Before when I looked up my ip when using my VPN it show the proxy ip address? I am really confused concerning this. Am I paying for a VPN that does not work and has lead me into a false sence of security? I do a lot of online banking due to not getting out much. Please advice?

More about : virtual private network public

November 25, 2010 12:29:40 PM

Quote:
what internet browser do you use?

Internet exployer 8
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:49:42 PM

If your VPN is working properly, when you use a site like http://www.whatismyip.com/ it should show your external public IP as being from the server hosting the VPN. If you are browsing and it shows as your landlords public IP, its probably not working. If you are looking at the connection between you and your VPN, your originating IP address in that connection will show your landlords external IP because of Network Address Translation ( everyone using that network has the same IP to the outside internet, you effectively are the landlords IP ). So in other words we need to know what you mean by
"It says it connected to the VPN but it is still using the landlords ip address"
because that still may be working depending on how you look at it. Connect to your VPN like you normally do and go to www.whatismyip.com and then compare that to when you connect without your VPN. If those are the same we can go from there.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 6:36:18 PM

woodenbear said:
I live in a RV in an RV park which has free public wifi for all to use. I realize that open wifi is about as secure as keeping all your personal belongings outside for all to see. I am disabled and do a lot of online shopping with my very limited income. So I paid a small monthly fee for a VPN so I could at least do these things some what secure. Well for some reason the landlords or owners seemed to have blocked my VPN. It says it connected to the VPN but it is still using the landlords ip address, which they still see me, Is this normal? Before when I looked up my ip when using my VPN it show the proxy ip address? I am really confused concerning this. Am I paying for a VPN that does not work and has lead me into a false sence of security? I do a lot of online banking due to not getting out much. Please advice?

Woodenbear, that's totally fine! The VPN creates a gateway for the internet with an encrypted tunnel, your local network will operate as usual. Anything you do on the internet will be secure from the other users on your network.
m
l
December 8, 2010 11:12:58 PM

Best answer selected by woodenbear.
m
l
!