My situation is as follows...

My original build is:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
BIOSTAR TA790GXE
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB DDR2
ATI Sapphire 5750
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
2 x HDD (2TB + 1.5TB) 7200 RPM

Last August, I upgraded my GPU to a MSI Twin Frozr II 560 GTX (non-ti)...

Well then just the other day while the PC was on idle, it shut off (of sorts)..everything seems to power but board doesn't Post...went through a list of things to test (taking out GPU, Ram, re-seating everything but the CPU, trying just board, cpu and psu, reset cmos (battery + jumper), etc)...none of that worked...

Took the PSU and tested it on a Dell and then an HP, both would do the same...figured its a PSU issue at this point...(going to test the MB with another supply soon to check if it went out as well) *crosses fingers*

It is under warranty so I will still RMA, but my questions are as follows:

1) Could the upgrade of the GPU be the cause of this failure? Since the PSU has dual 12v rails at 25A, while the cards recommended is 30A and this over the course of a few months pretty much shortening the life of the PSU...

Maybe i'm understanding this incorrectly and please correct me if I am, but since the card uses both 6-pin connections, wouldnt it be using both rails providing up to 50A?

2) Depends on the response to the first I suppose,would it be suggested to upgrade the PSU in this case? Or stick with the replacement once the RMA is done?

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
That specific unit seems to have had some issues in the past. Its combined A is 46A for both rails.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/1

Since this review their has been an update where OCZ has changed it packaging to meet the specs, but that doesn't change the fact that is has trouble at full load. It might be that the new card just taxed itself enough to push it to fail.

It is only has two 12V rails which means that one of the 12V rails running your GPU is being shared with something else. It could be that it is just pushing that one rail close enough to capacity to edge it over into a place where it can't handle the load.

That said, you may have also just been gifted with a weaker unit. There is some variation in manufacturing after all, and some (even excellent quality units) were just born to go out before their time.

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

With its history then (the OCZ PSU)...would it be best to consider an upgrade at PSU?

If so, what is your take on the Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-051]

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Being in Miami, that would be a possibility but it was a clear night :/ and didn't notice anything else that might have affected it...

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Hmmm...what really has me 50/50 on either or is the thought of this happening again within months with a replacement unit :/ not an issue I really want to deal with again...my thinking with the Antec is that I wont have to worry about my PSU when I upgrade my CPU, Motherboard, and throw in another 560...unlike with the OCZ....

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Im really doubting an electrical disturbance but theres always that possibility...

I'm thinking of just doing the RMA. I just need to test my board and the rest with another supply to see if they are ok or not :(

thanks.....

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

thats another thing that scares me...i cant be without my desktop that long...at the latest next weekend...classes are starting to pick up and no way am i running SQL server on a freakin netbook..lol

I'ma give them a call in a few to start the process and if i hear anything more than 2 weeks then no more OCZ psu for me :/ which makes me a sad panda cause it means i have to spend on a new one :(

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
sent in request for advance RMA with cross shipping...

will test motherboard and rest with another PSU tomorrow when I get my hands on one...

until then no new PSU...well, depending on how long the RMA will take...

Thanks again for the advice