Can GPU lead to a hot northbridge?

pfrozen

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi,
I change graphical card from NVIDIA QUADRO FX1800 to Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-x.
I start the computer and after 3-4 minutes, it reboots. I touched the northbridge, soutbridge and I/O cooler and they are very hot.
Replace the Radeon card with older one and the temperature is normal.

I own Intel Xeon W3550 (Bloomfield) Max TDP 130W Socket 1366 LGA at 3,07Ghz (similar to i7-950)
Motherboard is Supermicro X8SAX 1.0b withBios AMI. CPU cooler is Noctua nh-u12p se2.
My PSU is FSP600-80GLC da 600W.

That is a picture taken a moment before the system reboots.

s96.gif

Inside the case:

s228.jpg

Here is voltage taken by a motherboard system utility:

I would say its your power supply, you are over stressing the motherboard components. Power is drawn from a power supply not pushed so what happens is the components strain to draw the power they need if its not there. Edit: That's why things are getting hot.
Does the power supply cut out when the PC stops ? There is probably an audible click when the over voltage regulator (if your PSU has one) kicks in and stops the PSU.

The new card no doubt needs more power than the old one and looking at your system you were probably on the limit of the PSU's capabilities already.

Mactronix :)

pfrozen

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
First When the system reboots automatically, it continues to reboot because but if I wait 10 minutes, the system is able to last for 4-5 minutes before reboot.

Secondly: when I press the power button for a second the fans work then stops for 1-2 seconds and the system starts.

If I change the power supply unit, what is the best solution? 700W or 650W?

Get something from a top tier Maker something like Corsair or the like, Seasonic PSU's are very good and many of the top ones are in fact Seasonic units inside.

Units like this for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005.

Mactronix :)

pfrozen

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Which one do you think is better? Corsair CMPSU-650HX (650W) or TX650M (650W).
I prefer something modular and I only need 2x6 pin plugs.