Status
Not open for further replies.

madchemist83

Distinguished
Hi,

I've recently build a new rig. My cooler is Zalman 9900 MAX. It cools just fine the problem is that it's making this rattling noise when at high speeds. I'm trying to figure out if it's a fan or a way cooler positioned on cpu. Is anyone else had same problem ?

tlmck

Distinguished
Since it is cooling alright, that would suggest it is properly seated on the CPU. Since the fans are LED, I would open the case see if you notice any wobble with the fans.

Noise from a Zalman anything is highly unusual.

madchemist83

Distinguished
@ tlmck
I looked at it and it seems fine.
Strange thing though it only rattles at certain rpm 29% to 37% .. so all I did is put minimum rpm at 38% in Fan Xpert :)
@davcon
what do you mean applying pressure ? and on cooler itself I don't understand

tlmck

Distinguished
If it makes noise at higher RPM, that generally means a flaky fan bearing. Once again, highly unusual for something like that to make it past Zalman QA. If it is really troublesome, i would contact Zalman. I have no doubt they would do a free swap out.

tlmck

Distinguished
Oops. Sorry. I read it backwards. Now that could be normal for most fans. I have seen, case, and PSU fans have trouble a lower than normal RPM. The problem is, most makers do not publish the low spec. I have similar issues with the Coolermaster case fan and the stock Intel CPU fan on my rig. Both will emit a very low yet audible groan on low speed. I just set the min up a bit in the BIOS and it goes away.

I still have trouble believing this of a Zalman product though. They use high quality ball bearing fans and are sticklers for silence. I am thinking you just got a bad one, for a Zalman anyways.

tlmck

Distinguished
It's up to you. If it were another company I would say live with it. But Zalman is nutso about silence in their products and I do not think you would have any issues with the RMA. Whether you send it back to the seller or Zalman is your choice.

The circular motor/bearing housing in the middle of blades = fan hub
Try what i told you.
No you won't be replacing the fan on a Zalman Max = not replaceable.
Have to rma the unit.
Why i never recommend them.
Zalman makes good coolers but i recommend the 10X line = user replaceable fans and most can add a 2nd fan for push/pull!

I've used one of those before and it was totally quiet even at higher speeds. Sounds like you got a bad fan.

FYI, Zalman is really good about RMAs. I blew the fan on my Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and they sent me a replacement in no time. I didn't have to send anything in or anything. You should email them at the very least.

Hm. Well when I sent in my original RMA form online, I had to wait around 2 weeks and thought they were just going to ignore me. But finally I got a reply and they were very good about everything after that. But I'd expect if you call they would respond a bit quicker...

madchemist83

Distinguished
So I finally got responce from Zalman

We apologize for the delay in response

We can certainly provide with a replacement fan if the product is still within the warranty period. To further process your Small Parts Request, we ask you to submit an invoice or a receipt and you can do so in several ways:
I thought it's non replaceable ???

But I thought fan is not replaceable ???

Status
Not open for further replies.