6-pin PCI-E splitter ok? (500W & HD6870)

ajung222

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Well, I just got my sweet Radeon HD 6870. I was plugging it in, and noticed it had two PCI-E 6-pin connectors, but my power supply only has one. I am wondering if my power supply is powerful enough to use a 6-pin splitter to plug in both.

I have a Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0. It's an older PS, but it's been reliable.
Newegg link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

*Note- I am also upgrading a bunch of other things which include: i-5 680, radeon HD 6870, 8 gb ddr3 ram, new case with 4 big fans. Will my 500W thermal take be able to run all this along with 6-pin splitter?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

ajung222

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Let's see, invoice says 11/30/08.. so it's a little under 3 years old. It's actually newer than I thought lol.

Thanks for the reply dhicks19. I was a bit worried because in the Radeon HD 6870 manual, it says DO NOT use a splitter. Also, do you have any idea if it's harmful for the computer (probably MB) to run just ONE pci-E connector?

What do you mean by splitter? Are you referring to the 6pin-molex adaptor?

If the manual says DO NOT use a splitter, then I WOULD NOT use a splitter.

Most video cards come with a 6pin - molex adaptor in the box.

The card will not run with just one pci-e connector.

ajung222

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Crap. Thanks for all the replies everyone, really appreciate it. Looks like I'm gonna buy a new PS "Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W" which seems like a good choice.

Cheers.

Since this unit achieved its maximum efficiency at 145 W, we can easily say that this unit is in fact a power supply between 240 W and 360 W, confirming our findings described above.

Wow. I'll never buy a Thermatake, you can bet on that. That's one of the worst examples of power rating "cheating" I've ever seen, not expected from a well know company.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Did you think the Thermaltake he has now is wireless?? :hello:

The Antec has 14a more power than the Corsair.

i havve owned a few thermaltakes and never had an issue, they do produce some good psu's. If 1 of your friends gives you a poor birthday present one year do you then banish them from your life???? If you heard about the capacitor plague present in some older antec models you may have the same response to them, but you cant judge them on their old models which are no longer on the market.

TRENDING THREADS