New power supply causing system to shut down?

Bdee1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2004
I have a home built system in my office which has worked well for years. Recently i have been having problems with the power supply. When I shut the system down, pressing the power button only turns on the system 1 in 10 times. Usually after shutting down i would just have to fiddle with it until it would turn back on. then once it was on it ran perfectly. SO i decided to replace the power supply. I believe the original one was a 400w which came with the case years ago.

I had a newer PC which i no longer use so i decided to pull the power supply out of there and drop it into my office computer. the new power supply is a seasonic 500w i believe. So i dropped it into the office computer and it fired right up.

after a couple days though i noticed that running heavy tasks like video conversion would cause it to shut the system down (no reboot). now this happens consistently. Every time i try to convert a video with handbrake, at some point in the process it just shuts down.

So I am wondering if there is something wrong with the new power supply.

I thought maybe it was a problem with heat but i never had heat problems with the old power supply, and all the fans are spinning (CPU, vid card fan, case fan...)

so what do you think? could it be the power supply?

Bdee1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2004
some additional detail - i just installed and ran speedfan.

it says I have a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz.

GPU is at 76 C
CPU is at 93 C
system is at 42C
Aux is 127C (not sure what aux is)

Core0 is at -39C and Core1 is at -41C which seems odd.

also - Vcore is 1.12V
+12V is 11.99V
AVcc is 3.20V

so obviously the GPU and CPU seem hot but if the fans are spinning like they were before - i'm not sure what would have changed to make them so hot.