Sign in with
Your question

Processor question

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2012 3:37:27 PM

I am fairly new with computers but I have an AMD Athlong x4 635 quad-core processor and im thinking of switching to the intel i7. From what i know the processor is where most of the hard ware attaches too, so im wondering if i do buy an i7 would i have to completely rebuild the computer?

More about : processor question

January 24, 2012 4:11:14 PM

spanKie10 said:
I am fairly new with computers but I have an AMD Athlong x4 635 quad-core processor and im thinking of switching to the intel i7. From what i know the processor is where most of the hard ware attaches too, so im wondering if i do buy an i7 would i have to completely rebuild the computer?

well you would need to buy some i7 compatible motherboard, if the memory isn't ddr3, you will need to change memory too, the only thing you may keep is your case(sometimes not)/your gpu if it is already pci-Express, and if the PSU is already strong enough you can keep it, probabily yes, you will need to change almost everything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2012 4:47:13 PM

^+1
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 12:29:18 AM

Buy a motherboard that is the right size for your case (atx, matx, or itx), and has the correct inferface for your drives (sata or atapi/IDE)

buy ram if what you have is not ddr3 (stick to 1333 or 1600 speed,1.5v, cl9 ram)

the 635 is a 95w processor as is the i7 so your power supply does not need to be replaced.

If you are running a 635 then you already have a pcie graphics card or you are using the onboard. In either case you dont need to buy anything new as the I7 comes with built in video too thats superior to the onboard that might have come with the the 635

Conclusion - all you need is the motherbd, cpu, and possible ram.

An aftermarket cpu cooler like the hyper212 would be a nice addition but not necessary just remember that the stock cpu fan can get a bit loud.

m
l
January 26, 2012 1:06:58 AM

yea, I agree with everyone above....

i7 is the way to go... you wont regret the change...
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 3:46:58 AM

I would recommend a Core i5 CPU rather than a Core i7 CPU unless you know the programs you will be using can take advantage of Hyper Threading.

If the programs you use do not take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), then you are paying about ~$100 for and extra 100MHz and an extra 2MB of cache. Games do not use HT
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2012 4:16:49 AM

spanKie10 said:

The AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor is decent for everyday use. If you are just browsing the web, watching videos or doing office works, it should be sufficient.

Anyway, what is the reason why you want to replace it?
m
l
!