Limiting bandwidth...

beetlebz

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
It may sound weird, but I would like to know if there is a way I can limit my bandwidth.
I have a 2meg cable connection, but when I run any one of several P2P downloading programs, It slows web access for the rest of the network (3 other computers) way down. I would like to limit my own bandwidth to still allow others on the network to surf.

any ideas?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
this question has been asked 100 times and still no one has a good solution.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

beetlebz

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
well, I found a way! :D this is going to sound weird, but being unfirmiliar with the code for p2p software, it may not be that weird at all.

I always ran the program with my bandwidth cap set to 0, which just means that its uncapped. Now, say im downloading at 50k/s, me, and everyone else on the network is lagged hardcore. actually often the other 2 computers are SO lagged that they just time out when you try to access a webpage.

so, I go back and set my download bandwidth cap to 100k/s, even though I wasnt using that much bandwidth to download to begin with, and my upload cap around 20k/s....

now not only can everyone surf the web just like normal with no problems, but my p2p programs are flying!

TRENDING THREADS