Oct 22, 2012
Okay so currently my rig is running..

EP45T-UD3LR Gigabyte motherboard
285GTX 1GB Gigabyte Nvidia GFX
4GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz RAM
9650 Intel Quad Core 3.0Ghz
WD10EADS Western Digital 1TB HDD.

My Issue:
When recording it is not smooth regardless of settings using Fraps, now I believe the HDD spins at 5400 from factory but can be increased to 7200 which I believe which is what it is at now, the RAM is held back by the processor to 1333Mhz.

I am looking to record games, so I got a couple questions..

#1 Firstly is there a capture card for PC's, this would eliminate issues I have with recording, and are they worth it or any good?

#2 I have considered getting an 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM to solve these issues, the RAM is mainly for the fact that I play a couple RAM intensive games and as far as I have concluded is that my RAM is only just not handling some of the games, so I am basically aware that going with the SSD should eliminate most problems but if I add the 8GB Corsair RAM to my computer, will the computer essentially be running 12GB 1600mhz ram even though one is Corsair and the other is Patriot?

#3 My final idea on that was to upgrade to an i5 not that is much of an issue, but what would I accomplish in doing so? basically nothing performance wise or?

#4 Is my GFX card more than enough for what I want to do?

Thanks for any answers, I will be eagerly awaiting :D

Solution
With RAM prices these days it may be better just to replace the set (that's how I misread your post initially). While theortically you could run 4+2 & 4+2, populating 4 slots, and have a total of 12 GB, you may have troubles getting them to run in dual channel, or at good timings, and might shoot yourself in the foot. The answer would be found by delving into your specific motherboard and bios.

For a decent PC configured properly a capture card isn't necessary.

HTH. Good luck!

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I have no idea what settings you are recording at, but basically you need to be able to play at that smoothly plus some to record it smoothly. First the graphics card is old, unless your making low quality video, get a modern card, like 7850+ or 660+ . Second, a fast hard drive is very important, the SSD will definately help, and more ram is a good idea both playing the game and recording it. Last, while you cpu is ok, it should be on the list, if last, to upgrade.

Remember you, you're computer need to both play the game, and record it. Some people play, record, convert, upload, and stream, simultaneosly in real time. That some pretty heavy hardware.

DemolitionDemon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Cheers, while that answers most of my questions, I do run most games fine, the ones that do not run fine I can almost pinpoint to a lack of ram issue, given that I may not upgrade the GFX first I'll look at RAM first, if I am I will look at a 660 GTX 2GB (Currently what is on eBay), as I have car payments as well so can't really afford much higher than that, but comparing the two cards would very much show that the 285GTX is getting rather old.
According to http://www.hwcompare.com/13379/geforce-gtx-285-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-660/

I figured as much with the SSD as most will say it's the bottle neck of computers.

I do plan to get more RAM however I still have the same question as before, will my computer run just fine with 2 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Sticks and 2 2GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz sticks for a total of 12GB ram at 1600mhz?

And I'm assuming capture cards are purely for Xbox and PS3.

Yeah the CPU will sit on the list, but not urgently.

Thanks for the help.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
With RAM prices these days it may be better just to replace the set (that's how I misread your post initially). While theortically you could run 4+2 & 4+2, populating 4 slots, and have a total of 12 GB, you may have troubles getting them to run in dual channel, or at good timings, and might shoot yourself in the foot. The answer would be found by delving into your specific motherboard and bios.

For a decent PC configured properly a capture card isn't necessary.

HTH. Good luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS