Quad Data Rate SDRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leontoh

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001
Just as I thought that DDR SDRAM would furfill my future needs, I read this post about QDR SDRAM PC3500... It's a nightmare!!! EEeiiik!!! I was planning to get a new Athlon system with DDR SDRAM and now there's the QDR SDRAM? I think I'll wait for it first as my P200MMX serves can do almost everything I want it to. Should I wait for the QDR SDRAM? Is QDR SDRAM some sort of joke or what?

Leon

TIA

lostinms

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one question do you play games or just surf the internet? The reason why I ask is cause there are some games that are starting to appear with Higher processor requirement and Memory requirements. One game that comes to my mind is American McGee's Alice. It requires a processor of 400mhz or better and 64 meg of ram or better.

As for the QDram it will be a while before we see any of it. Just like it is takeing DDR to get to the market it will probally take twice as long for QDR

leontoh

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001
Have you seen MechWarrior 4? It requires a PII 450Mhz to play it. Anyway, I hope the QDR SDRAM wouldn't be out soon...Anyway, I do both -- surf and play games.b

Leon

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because the P4 series of CPU's are using QDR system bus, I expect that someone will release a QDR ram chipset for the new version of it in about 8 months. As the original P4 has shown to be problematic, we'll only know if the new version is better after it gets here! In the meantime, if you want a faster computer, get it now while regular RAM is cheap. If your happy with the one you have, wait and see what happens.

Suicide is painless...........

mpjesse

Splendid
Hmmm.... my prediction is that the bulk of all memory sold will be DDR in the coming months. Or, maybe someone will meld QDR and DDR... hmmm- that would be interesting. It wouldn't surprise me- since most technology has a little bit of everything in it.

-MP Jesse

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
What would that be, TRD? Sounds a little rediculus to me. I hate the rate at which my components become obsolete (the next day).

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

mpjesse

Splendid
Hey, 30 years ago most people thought it would be ridiculous for a world wide network to exist, encyclopedia's on a 5 1/4 plastic disc, and computers that run at 1.5 gigahertz.

-MP Jesse

PS, imagine what we're NOT thinking of now.

Atman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not to be rude,
I think you ought to wait...wait for the 4x...no...wait for the 8x oh, wait next will be 64x .... anymore you just have to find a comfortable spot and jump in otherwise you will just wait and wait and wait. I still wouldn't expect to see quad in my hands for better than a year, but that's just a guesstimate.

Take Care
Atman

Status
Not open for further replies.